on 20 November 2013
An inspiring and practical read. I listened to most of this audiobook during a twelve-hour drive from Harare, Zimbabwe to Blantyre, Malawi.

My notes:

Daniel Priestley talks about how we all have an empire building brain, however, the empire brain can be shut down if the lower parts of the brain (reptile or monkey) are over stimulated. The reptile sees resources as very scarce so it's extremely selfish, guarded and doesn't want to share; it only sees what is there; it's very low in imagination. The monkey is good at repetitive work but is very easily distracted. The empire builder is empathic, creative, strategic, resourceful.

As one of his 10 challenges, he recommends walking around with GBP1,000 in cash at all times to adjust your views on what is a lot of money, to learn a degree of self-control and I suppose to discover other fears and emotions that go with carrying what most of us would consider to be a fairly hefty, even unsafe, amount of cash.

Take two people you want to get to know better out to lunch every week.

Cut news out. Keep a journal.

Always have 5 people on your team:
1. A visionary
2. A sales person
3. A graphics person
4. A Swiss Army knife (i.e. a jack of all trades)
5. A mentor

Lean in! i.e. go for it, network aggressively, seek opportunities, visualise and believe in the vision!

Formula for success: luck, reputation and vitality

Ascending Transaction Model - ATM:
- Gifts
- Products for prospects
- Core products
- Logical next steps (charge a few thousand for these)

7 Maxims
1. You get what you pitch for and you are always pitching
2. Influence comes from output NOT confidence
3. Income follows assets (this has been ringing in my head almost daily since I read the book)
4. Get known by the success of your clients
5. You're in partnership with everyone that touches your business
6. Ideas are worthless - implementation is everything
7. Being imaginative is NOT being creative

I recommend you read this book for practical steps that will push your vision/business forward. A must read.
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2014
This book, which I have now read 3 or 4 times has had a very deep effect on me. It is the most inspirational and motivational book I have ever read and as such felt compelled to write a review to urge you to purchase it.

If you are anything like me you will have the following feelings:
- urges to 'do your own thing'
- Hate answering to a person
- Get frustrated with having to work based on time schedules
- feel like a caged animal
- Feel like that there should be something else that you should be doing
- Have tried self employment various times
- Live for the weekend
- Can't wait until you retire so you can do all those fun things

and so on...

After my second failed attempt at trying to run my own business, a friend recommended The Entrepreneur Revolution. Suddenly all those feelings I've had, my previous failed attempts at starting a business, all made sense. I had been approaching my whole life and work the wrong way.
I can't stress how satisfying it is to be able to understand why things don't work and more importantly what to do to fix it. This book has taught me all of these things and more.

I apologise if I'm being ridiculously gushing about this book but I honestly think that this book is a blueprint to how you should try and live your life let alone become a succesful business person.

I have already started implementing many of the advice and strategies laid out in this book and things are starting to go from strength to strength. I'm not saying that this book will miraculously turn you into a business god, that is down to you, but it will give you the strategies that you need to implement to get you there.

Good luck
Eddy
on 9 November 2015
I am an avid reader of business books as I have seen how they can change your course. So I was delighted to come across this book. What I loved most about it, is the very practical steps you can take RIGHT NOW to make a difference in your business.
The book covers some very important basics as well, that it is easy to think you've got right. Daniel really encourages you to get these foundation basics right, from the beginning. And it doesn't take long to read at all!
I have already started making a list of the topics I can write about, and have set a goal of when, how many and where to publish them. I am also starting a blog. Basics we all should know and be doing - but don't know how important until somebody like Daniel puts it into perspective.
If you are starting a business now, or want to make the leap from a job to your own business, this book is for you - read it urgently!
on 23 July 2016
Inspiring and surprisingly relative to our day and age. Highly recommended for a first time audio book.

The adjustment to the book to be given as audio format has given me an inspiring introduction to audio books. Learning and thinking has never been so stimulated without effort.

The author tries to not only relate to you're situation and position in life, but he speaks out to you and gives you inspiring clues to what really gives you your personal spark.

Humorous at times I found myself actually laughing which for such a topic I thought very impressing.

The book has made me interested to hear more. Itrigued for more information and further knowledge from the same pool of tips this book originates.
This book is very good introduction into creating various products and strengthening your brand. It also provides information for creating a lifestyle that will become main source of your income.

However, don't expect to find any information for building big businesses. The book is rather focused on info-products and lifestyle entrepreneurs. Still, it is a good place to start.
on 4 February 2015
I could not put this book down. If you want to make something of your life, then this is the book you need to read. Not for the faint hearted, or those who just want an easy life. If you really want something, then you need to work for it, but it doesn't mean you can't have fun doing it. Highly recommended.
on 25 March 2013
Some books just cant be put down, they are few and far between agreed, but let me tell you, this is one of them. I got this book at 5 o'clock on a Friday night, and by 1 o'clock in the morning I was gutted that I needed to go to sleep. All I wanted to do was stay up and read this outstanding book from Dan Priestley. By the Sunday I had finished it. Are you a monkey brain, an entrepreneur brain, or reptile brain? I must tell you now, after reading this book I have completely cut out watching mindless TV and do not want to 'follow the crowd'. If you want to grow you, your business and expand your life, then read this book and join the Entrepreneur Revolution. It will help you cement your current mindset, or enlighten you and allow you to expand! If you want to 'live in the entrepreneur sweet spot' as Dan to eloquently puts it, then this book is for you. I urge you to read it, not once, but a few times, and you will get immense benefit from it. Enjoy, I know you will....
on 27 March 2013
I LOVE THIS BOOK. You need to buy this book yesterday. You should have already read it 4 times.

We are all entrepreneurs by design, we are not meant to be depressed, functional automatons. Dan will show you how to come out of your comfort zone & remind you what it feels like to be creative, connected & living life to the full again while becoming Master of your own Global Small Business.. Hold on to your hats because there really is an Entrepreneur Revolution going on. If you're in business already, get better at it & learn from this book & if you're not, make the jump, lean in and become the person you're really meant to be.

I appreciate that Das Kapital was important & Karl Marx was a clever man but that was about another revolution (industrial) that's coming to an end. There's a new one coming just around the corner & if you want to find out more you must read Dan's book.
on 12 March 2016
I follow Daniel on instagram and have read his other book about a four hour working week which I also highly recommend. This is a really great book if you know you've got that little bit of entrepreneurial spirit in you but you're not quite sure how to hone it in order to get real results and make some actual money.
on 10 November 2015
I read many many books and now and again one comes along which stops me in my tracks and makes a difference. This is such a book, aside from the content the book is extremely well written and structured with supporting videos which bring it to life. Daniel aims to change your mindset and it's hard to resist. You'd be hard pushed not to be considering starting your own business after reading this. I can't wait to read it again!
on 6 February 2016
As a University Student I feel really appealed by this book and here is why.
While growing up I've always learned that it is important to get the best scores at school and be the top of the class. But even by getting scores that topped my parents expectations I never felt satisfied. I thought really hard and long about what I really wanted and I realized that I don't want to be stuck in an office from 8 to 5, come home to just sit in front of my television or computer trying to entertain myself with the latest viral videos. That's why I decided to buy a book written by a person that believed that change was possible because I wasn't raised with it, my parents are people with boring jobs which they hate and I hear their depressing stories every day but still they expect that sometime they will get rewarded for their hard work. Daniel Priestley has opened my eyes to the truth and this truth is that a different live is possible, a life in which you can do what you love day in, day out without wanting to ever stop because it's your passion. I learned a lot about what I really wanted in life because of this book and that's why I give it the best rating, this book thought me more in 200 pages than the 5000 pages I've learned at school. If anything else I would just like to add that I would love meeting him to talk about his experience because he seems like a really nice guy.