VINE VOICEon 22 July 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having already read Kelsy's earlier work, `What's Stopping You?: Why Smart People Don't Always Reach Their Potential', Jul 12, I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. Kelsey maintains his effective and, for me personally, winning style of candid disclosure. I can appreciate some earlier reviews who comment that his style is too introspective and self-promoting, but I managed to suspend that distraction and focus on his core, considered and well argued message.

The book does not provide immediate and definitive release and solutions to chronic under-confidence, but it does provide psychological reassurance, support and realistic tools for self-analysis and improvement. If you have, like me, read previous work, there is something more and further to learn and consider - Kelsey's prose style, research and views continues to promisingly mature and develop. For those who have yet to read any of his work, do so - it will be worth it and provide a valuable primer for further study.
on 23 July 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This a very thorough self help book about our confidence. I hadn't expected it to contain as much research as it did and I was also impressed with the personal experiences recounted throughout. It isn't academic to read and where there are parts that may not apply or have research that you're unsure about it is easy enough to move on due to clear and regular sub-headings. Each chapter has a small summary box at the end for recapping what's been read.

The book is sectioned into five parts: explaining poor confidence, the alchemy of confidence, achievement, situations and barriers. For me, I didn't find part four as engaging or informative as some of the others. I did enjoy one of the ending sections which was the route to confidence in seven stages. Whatever level of confidence you approach this book with, you'll still find something useful. It was interesting to see why some people appear more confident than others.

An informative read.
on 11 May 2014
I felt I was not as confident as I could be and downloaded this book because of the great reviews. I was impressed. Robert Kelsey's uses his example of the different steps to being more confident. It was interesting to hear how he became quite hubristic when he was in New York and he explains why this was false confidence. I really liked that it was not by some American self-help guru but someone who grew up in the UK and understands our social culture. My key learning point from the book was the need to adopt a learning attitude. When I reflected, I recognised that I had been more confident earlier in my career when I knew I needed to learn from experiences. I have recommended this book to friends and I would recommend it to others - even those who think they don't need such a book. I wish I had read this book earlier.
on 19 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found this book extremely helpful, the author immediately makes clear that this isn't a lecture, this is his experiences on what has worked he's sharing with you. As a result you warm to his ideas immediately. The writing style is clear, concise and with enough wit to keep your attention. You can't read the book all at once to get most out of it, read a little a day and start to put the techniques into action and you'll soon realise the true value of his methods. I particularly like that the author espouses a technique of acceptance of faults rather than seeking to cure them, as someone with a belief that your personal history shapes who you are today, rather than being something to hide away from, the book seems to promote techniques that are great for mental health and wellbeing.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this book via the Amazon Vine program because I thought it looked like a helpful guide to becoming more confident. And it is. Not too much, not too heavy (in terms of reading) - this book is straightforward and offers practical tips about how to become (and appear even if you are not) more confident, not just in the workplace but all round.

I think this is useful to those who could use a few tips to change their day-to-day life. I'm not sure that this would be a useful reference for those with very profound confidence or esteem issues. However, even so, I think there is something to benefit everyone. I would not recommend this as a purchase for those with more deep-seated issues.
on 15 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Unfortunately, unlike The Teach Yourself Confidence Workbook (Teach Yourself: Relationships & Self-Help) which is another book I've recently read on the subject of confidence, this book didn't hit the mark.

Whilst it is useful to draw on one's own experiences, I found this book focussed a bit too much on the author himself. I didn't feel as inspired as I did with the aforementioned other book, although there was the occasional interesting or relevant point made. That said, I am sure you can find these sorts of pointers through a bit of internet research.

Whilst this book is OK, I can't wholeheartedly recommend it.
VINE VOICEon 18 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Robert Kelsey runs a PR company, which means he is very good at presentation, usually of other people and their ideas. That is what this book is - a very slick synthesis of lots of other people's research into the fields of confidence and self-image.

It isn't badly done and Kelsey shares his personal feelings and faults quite openly. But the constant reference to previously published works and other writers' books tends to get annoying. Are any of the people Kelsey references getting a slice of revenues from this title? Or are they supposed to be grateful he has referenced them?

Kelsey's actual contribution is largely his personal analysis of the theories and research presented. It's possible, likely even, he is on the money at least some of the time. But he does not present any evidence when he disagrees with the writers he has quoted, so, really, why should I trust his opinion over theirs?

At best then, this is a genuine attempt to try to filter the best writing already published on the subject of the self. At worst it is a PR guy attempting to cash in on other people's work by posing as an expert. Even the cover quotation, meant to inspire people to buy this title says quite clearly that this is not original research but a distillation of other's efforts. Lets say its somewhere in the middle though - a useful primer and a good reading list for readers who would probably learn more by actually reading the books listed herein.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not so sure this book is for everyone but maybe that's just me.
Ok so I am not confident in certain areas however I can be very confident in others (like my job). I found Robert Kelsey mostly reverts to his own experiences and that's great and all but there is a lot of it I read that I couldn't relate to. I really enjoyed his previous book What's Stopping You?: Why Smart People Don't Always Reach Their Potential and How You Can but I just feel that not everyone will get this book.
Robert does well in what he does write and judging by his experience and how he uses other people's findings he clearly does know and understand what he writes but as I stated above its personal experience that drives the book and I'm sure if you have had the same experiences you will relate to the book much better than I.

The section I did most want to read I felt let down because again it concentrates mostly on experiences I couldn't relate to.

As I could relate more to the previous book I honestly think this one will appeal to most people out there just not everyone. It is well written and very easy to absorb and not too long, Robert has clearly done his homework before releasing this book. I just wish I personally got more out of it.
VINE VOICEon 4 July 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Kelsey writes from personal experience but has clearly done his homework, and in this book gives what feels like a comprehensive summary of currently thinking on confidence and lacking it. I found that aspect a fascinating read, both in respect of my own background, and as a parent thinking about what messages I am passing on to my kids. However, there are problems with this approach, with some subject areas being rather skimmed over in the need to keep the length down and be readable, and for the most part it is very readable.

Where I think it falls down is on the "What You can Do about It" aspect of the title, there is lots of advice here, but it feels a bit scatter gun. While the 7 step plan at the end is a bit vague. Now, I don't expect there to be a single simple answer, but a clear direction to the right road would be helpful.

It is though a book I think I will go back to - dipping into specific chapters from time to time - so it may well prove it's worth in the long run.
on 17 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book was quite readable.We were led to believe that despite being a PR guru and former banker that the writer - Robert Kelsey is in fact a shy flower. Having identified with us to gain our confidence he then proceeds to basically summarise a lot of other theories and tips put forward in self help books such as Covey's the 7 habits of successful people, Carol Dweck's Growth Mindset and many others. As a summary of the theories out there it was rather good.
It went a bit awry for me when he concentrated for a few chapters on confidence in the workplace and how to network at work events. There was also a quite "light" chapter on depression - "...it can even last up to few weeks" !!! how about years. Not bad and actually quite theory dense.