Customer reviews

Infinite Sky
Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 July 2013
Infinite Sky is not a clichéd coming of age tale. It is a story of first love and of the tragedy of loss - the main character of the book suffers several losses of one sort or another. I would say that most of all this is a book about relationships and the tricky minefield of emotions that we humans have to negotiate in order to have relationships of any kind. It is about how people cope with loss in different ways (anger, denial, numbness) and about the things that are not said as well as those that are. It is about beginning to realise that adults are fallible and do not have all (or any of)the answers. Ultimately it is about a girl finding her own way in the world.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found the main character both interesting and convincing. Flood writes with a fresh and engaging voice; and most importantly for me the book is well written. I have lost count of the times I have put down a book for children or young adults in frustration at the sloppy writing.
on 3 February 2017
I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this in such a long time. Beautifully written with such a captivating narrative, characters that really do stay with you. I can't get enough of this author.
on 18 October 2013
Only being a layman (woman!) I have to say that this story had me gripped from start to finish. I think the author made such relevant character descriptions. Flood's protagonist is a warm, intelligent teenager whose emotional upheavals are described precisely and I am sure she is not off mark. I read this book in one go and was fascinated all the way through. There's drama and calm in even balance. It is a deeply moving story with great social relevans. As a debut novel it is a very good start and I will be interested to read any more coming from C.J. Flood in the future. I will be on the look out.
on 19 March 2013
A Trip down memory lane for older readers and yet a modern, relevant and innocent read for younger bookworms.
The writer pulls you in with an enchanting setting and wonderful character descriptions.
The plot leaves enough room for your own imagination to wander without leaving you unfulfilled.
Iris the lead character is beautifully written and her thoughts and feelings are depicted in an amazingly realistic way. Its impossible not to fall for her charms you will cry for her and miss her when you finish the book.
I cannot wait to read more from C.J Flood.
on 27 April 2014
A good read for ages 12-15 ish, the only bad thing I can find about it is the ending. I would say it ended slightly too early but you'll have to read it to find out what I mean ;)
2 people found this helpful
on 19 March 2013
Incredibly moving story written with absolute courage and no inhibitions. Wonderful descriptions and intricately developed characters decorate the pages of a lovely cyan book. I am not generally a reader of young adult fiction but enjoyed this story very much, despite the frightening content, and have recommended it widely. I look forward to any future offerings from this stunning debut novelist.
on 17 March 2013
I was desperate to read this. Lots of good reviews.
At the beginning you get to know the characters well. As the book progresses it becomes more and more gripping. Great for older teens and young adults. (I also enjoyed it as a 30 year old!)
on 20 March 2013
Bought Infinite Sky last Thursday and finished it by Sunday as I was that gripped by the story. Makes it all the more amazing to hear that it is CJ Floods first book! The author really makes you feel part of the characters world from the start and by the end of the book you want there to be a sequal so you dont have to leave. Best book I have read in a long, long time!
2 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2013
I finished this book too quick - I couldn't put it down but didn't
want it to end. I loved the character of Iris and the relationships she had with her family.
This is a really lovely book and a fabulous debut from CJ Flood. Well worth reading
3 people found this helpful
on 29 July 2014
Honest, fresh and captures adolescence beautifully. You can't help but love and relate to Iris. This author has told a simple story but with so much power. Non pretentious. Very impressive.