on 20 March 2017
pretty good, different from other YA horror books
on 8 May 2017
Very good and love the sexy bit in it so yeah love it a lot mate wow hurry up b
on 30 July 2013
Darren Shan, successful children's horror author, has just released Zom-B: Angels, part four of his 12 part zombie series for kids (and discerning adults). The time for avoiding spoilers is over, so beware! Here they come.
In the first novel, we met young B, who at he end of the novel has been turned into a zombie and we learn that she is a girl, which comes as a surprise given the way in which it was written.

In Zom-B Underground, we read about the teenager's first encounter with the strange Mr Dowling. At the beginning B is trapped in an underground military facility, part of a series of experiments on the zombies. But B is not like your normal everyday zombie, because B Smith can think and feel and reason. She is a complex character, reminiscent of the likes if Danny McCoyne from David Moody's Hater series; flawed, yet likeable. At the beginning of Zom-B: City, B has escaped the underground bunker but will only survive the city if she can find human brains, and she can only retain her thoughts and humanity if she feeds on these brains. The cruncher is however, that B has a finite time limit on her continued existence. No matter how many brains she consumes, B will die within 18 months. So, B decides to use her time wisely. She is searching the city for a government presence, looking for scientists who can use her blood to find a cure. But along the way, she has to survive against all odds.

The end in particular, like its two predecessors, ends with a cliff-hanger. The great thing about this series is that the books are released frequently enough so the reader doesn't lose track of what's happening, the price is affordable, and if you do forget what happened in the previous books, Shan provides a two page summary reminder titled 'Then'.

As with every installment so far in the Zom-B series, City, the 3rd book in this engaging 12 book series ended with a climax. And as with all the other books, if you don't want to read all the other books (though I suggest you do) there is no need to read the preceeding books. Shan gives a short, snappy summary of what has happened before at the start of each installment under the section entitled 'Them' .

In the abandoned building B flees to she meets Dr Oystein, a coherent adult zombie like herself; with thoughts, memories and freewill. Dr Oystein has been expecting B and knows her real name. She isn't the first to arrive at the County Hall refuge centre and the doctor calls the zom-heads Angels. The future saviours of humanity - revitaliseds. From the doctor, B discovers some of the things she was told underground were all lies, such as her limited lifespan. On her arrival B is put inside the 'Groove Tube' for a number of weeks, which is a formula that heals her injuries - a synthetic substance to stimulate the recuperative effects of eating brains.
Their greatest enemy and threat is not the humans, but Mr Dowling, the evil 'clown'.
There is a particular piece of art work on p.34, which is splendid and will leave the reader 'hungry' for more. Shan absolutely nails the narrative tone, presenting a confused yet slightly egotistical and brave teenager, who has to adapt to shocking news at every turn.
Through an Arab character, Shan manages to educate his young reader about Arab Christians and the Crusades without it coming across as a lecture.
In short, this is an intelligent, thoughtful, funny and adventurous book; a must read for any zombie fans out there.
on 26 August 2013
'Zom-B Angels" ! Another GREAT read from Darren Shan.
Darren's gripping style and "F1" speed plot action keeps him at the forefront of writers in this popular genre of fantasy-fiction-horror writing!
This latest addition to the "Zom-B" series carries the line of the Undead into more new and uncertain futures. New characters emerge from the shadows of the Zom-B vaults - just who is this 'Ivor Bolton', the mysterious but cleverly-named keeper of the keys to the Zom-B vaults?! I'm sure that we shall be hearing lots more of him in future Zom-B writing!
Look out for Daren Shan's appearances on his reader tours! His performances are as great as his stories because he really CARES about his readers, and works hard to meet and please them. How many other authors do you know who do that? Jacqueline Wilson does her best! JKR ? No chance ! Check out the Darren Shan website for the programme of Darren's appearances.
Zom-B Angels! Another GREAT Darren Shan read at a great Amazon price!
VINE VOICEon 4 October 2014
Warning: spoiler alert; do not read if you have not read the first book of the series.
Becky Smith finds herself with a group of “Revitaliseds,” speaking, thinking undead creatures like her. We first met Revitaliseds in “ZOM-B Underground.” They are all teenagers (the reason for which we learn later, and it isn’t because the target demographic for these books is young adults!) under the tutelage of a Dr Oystein, a dapper, cultured adult Revitalised who seems to be on the side of the angels (indeed he calls his group of undead teens “Angels”). He is accompanied by characters from previous books in the series, mainly “Underground;” Reilly the bunker guard, Mr Burke the teacher, and Rage, who B loathes and distrusts after he killed a scientist and left his Revitalised compatriots for dead in “Underground.”
Together they are on a mission shaped and defined by Dr Oystein, and as B trains as an Angel in how to conduct gathering, scouting and rescue missions in London, and in martial arts under the determined Master Zhang, she begins to learn some of the origins to her condition and that of the apocalypse that has ravage the world.
This has less gore and action set pieces than its counterparts (although it has its moments), and concentrates on filling holes in the back story, bringing established characters together, and introducing us to pivotal new ones. Instead of a huge gory show down, the closing chapters relate the horror of the origins of the apocalypse. We finally learn the origin of this plague, the mutants and Mr Dowling (although only on the word of the Dr Oysetin), and it’s a satisfying piece of exposition. How far you buy into it will depend on how much you have invested in the series so far.
It’s a good and gripping read and really propels the story arc forward. As yet we do not know the origins of “Owl-man” but I have my guesses. I am definitely hooked and will carry on with this inventive and fun take on the undead.
on 6 October 2015
This is one of my favourite books in the series, and as you can guess from the title, introduces a man called Oystein and his team of zom heads, otherwise known as Angels.

It introduces most of the major characters in the series, including Master Zhang, B's room mates and Doctor Oystein, who has brought his team of revitalized zombies together in the hope that they will be able to destroy the clown and hand the reins of power back to the living. Personally, I don't trust this man. I mean, his intentions sound good, but he never reveals much about his past and when B questions him on his surname, he brushes her off and changes the conversation. What is he hiding and why?

Never the less, he takes B under his wing and offers her protection in County Hall when she needs it the most. He is willing to help her change her ways and to become an 'Angel', and B can't help but accept his generous offer.

This book is slower than the others, but it gives us key information about the zombies and starts to delve briefly into Mr Dowling's intentions, though we only hear these from the mouth of Doctor Oystein.

I enjoyed learning more about the apocalypse, and I really liked Oystein as a character. He seems really nice, though I'm still a bit unsure about his intentions....B is beginning to develop into someone other than the rude, racist girl we first met in Zom-B. She is starting to see that she needs others just as much as they need her, no matter where they come from. A must read for any Darren Shan fan.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
As you may or may not already know, I'm a huge Darren Shan fan, he's one of my all time favourite authors. And with this 10+ years of loyalty comes the assumption that anything that Darren writes will be nothing short of perfect. I will admit though, when I first heard all those years ago that he would be taking on zombies now I was a little bit cautious. We've seen him do vampires and demons, and maybe its just because on paper I've never really been the biggest fan of zombies (if you don't count The Walking Dead I'm not a fan of them at all.... they scare me! haha) but like I said, I just didn't know if Mr Shan would be able to pull off another brilliant 12 part series. When I first started the series, though I enjoyed it, I did feel like maybe he was out of his depth a little and that was upsetting, I've never disliked anything his written. Zom-B was slow to start, focusing more on B as a person than what was happening around her, Zom-B Underground and City were better, I felt like the storyline had really began to take shape and then I started Zom-B Angels and all my doubts washed way, I was finally hooked in the story and on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next.

Darren Shan is famous for a few things, long series but short books very rarely having more than 250 pages. I myself have in the past complained when a book is too short, because it lacks something, but thankfully that’s not something I've ever felt with he's work, he always manges to pack so much action and suspense into his stories and with the Zom-B series we are also graced with brilliant artwork to add to the image of blood, guts and gore.

So what happens in Zom-B Angels I hear you say? well as we know Becky Smith isn't your typical brain dead zombie, she like a lot of others called revitalised are different, on a healthy diet of brains they can function almost like any other living person (except they are dead of course). While there is a faction of people that get to keep their senses after turning the harsh reality is that the majority of people these days are the zombie's you know and are scared of. So the question is where do the revitalised go when the reviveds aren't the worst thing on the streets? B finds out once she crosses paths with Doctor Oystein. Doctor Oystein and a whole bunch of revitalised are all holed up in a building, learning, growing and training for a war that B isn't sure she wants to be apart of. Though she knows that sticking with her own is the probably the only chance she will get at a some what normal life, she's always had trouble being told what to do or believe, so when Doctor Oystein's long and tragic story is revealed, Becky Smith who's first instinct is to distrust everyone, is left with a very hard question at the end of the story, stay and fight going on blind faith or make it on her own?..

Like I've already said, I'm finally really starting to get into the story and really think that the characters development is really starting to form and it's wonderful to see. I never liked Becky in the first book, mainly because of her dad but she's started to warm to me I'm really enjoying the sarcasm and the wit that I've come to associate with her character. Zom-B Angels is what you expect from any of Darren's other books, he is never afraid to go the extra mile for the gore but doesn't put it in his books for the sake of it, it all has a purpose. Yet again, like almost all his others, this book ends on a cliffhanger. But you never have to wait too long between the books so it's not that bad.

Overall, the book was enjoying and a really easy read. It isn't for everyone, but I myself think that the storyline still has so much to give and you haven't seen the best of Becky yet, make no mistake about that.
on 23 July 2013
I love this series, which I'm told will run to 12 books. Keep 'em coming Mr Shan.
The plot is developing most finely and the various characters are starting to
come into their own. The 'baddies' are still very much in the background but
are hovering just around the corner...planning and waiting. Can't wait for the
next installment. Highly recommended!
on 29 July 2013
The next great instalment of the series, completely lives up to those before it. Can't wait for the next one to be released.
Would recommend to any Darren Shan lovers like myself, anyone that loves zombie stories, or even anyone that enjoys a series with a few interesting twists.

Great prices available too, no reason not to buy it!
on 29 July 2013
This books is a must for all fans of Darren Shan and anything to do with Zombie Apocalypses. It is the 4th book in the Zom-B series and continues the journey of Becky Smith, where she meets the Angels - a reformed group of revitalised zom heads who are working and fighting together to stop Mr Dowling and his antics.