Customer reviews

Rules of Attraction
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I know it’s a story about young people, written for young people but there’s a romantic innocence about these stories that I can’t stop ready about. I’m a sucker for the bad boy falls for good girl type books. There’s just something about Simone Elkeles characters that are genuine and come to life through her stories. I actually preferred Rules of Attraction to Perfect Chemistry. Carlos was truly a bad boy, and Kiara sincere yet feisty.

The relationship between Carlos and Kiara develops slowly and sweetly, I loved their teasing and banter with one another. Carlos relationship with Kiara’s father and brother was so funny yet touching. There are the usual obstacles along the way but this story kept me interested and gripped until the end.
on 23 September 2017
Item description:
The item came in perfect condition and safely packaged. The quality of the hardcover was strong and protected the book nicely. The paper inside is thick and good quality. The writing size and font is easy to read and overall the item is really good.
Story rating:
Rules of Attraction was a good story that I enjoyed reading but I didn't think Carlos and Kiara had the crazy chemistry that Alex and Brittany did. So the romance wasn't as satisfying and electric. But overall the story was a good read that I enjoyed a lot. 4 stars
on 3 April 2013
(Source: Purchased on kindle from Amazon.co.uk for £2.49)
Carlos is moving from Mexico to Colorado to live with his brother, and finish high school. He's got no time for a girlfriend, or any sort of complication to his life, and getting arrested for drug dealing is the last thing he wanted.
Intent on not revealing the name of the kid who planted the drugs on him, Carlos ends up living with professor Westford and his family, whose daughter Kiara seems to be getting slowly under his skin.
Carlos isn't boyfriend material though, he just wants a girl to screw around with, doesn't he?

This is the second book in the `Chemistry' series, but can be read as a stand-alone novel (I haven't read the first one.)
I liked this story, but for me it took a long time for the romance to kick in.

Carlos is a pretty rough male lead, he's obviously lived in some not-nice places, and although his mother has done her best, he's not had the best of starts in life. He was pretty stubborn about not revealing the name of the drug dealer who set him up, even though he wasn't actually anything to do with him, and this probably revealed quite a lot about the things he learned as a teen.
Underneath it all, quite a way underneath it all, Carlos was a good person, but in the beginning he was pretty rude to Kiara and her family, and probably didn't deserve the chance they gave him.

For me the romance took a long while to build up in this book. At the beginning Carlos was not very nice to Kiara at all, I totally got why she wanted to play a practical joke on him to pay him back for some of his comments. That being said, as they slowly got to know each other a little better, Carlos wasn't quite so mean, but I certainly didn't see why Kiara was falling for him either.
Things didn't really heat up between the pair until really late in the story; around the last10-15% of the book in fact, which was a little disappointing, but when they eventually got together things weren't even smooth sailing then.

Kiara was an okay character, but while she seemed to have problems with stuttering during stressful moments, she didn't seem to have the same problem when whispering dirty little teases in Carlos' ear, which personally would have made me a little nervous!

The ending of the book concerned Carlos and the drug ring he had somehow gotten caught up in, and this was unfortunately the least interesting part of the story for me. I didn't really appreciate the epilogue much either.
Overall; a YA contemporary romance, with quite a slow-to-love couple.
6.75 out of 10.
on 14 October 2012
Carlos Fuentes isn't happy about leaving Mexico to start the 'new' life his older brother, Alex, has planned for him. Carlos liked his freedom; living life on the edge and carving out his own path - just like Alex did.
Kiera Westford doesn't talk much; preferring instead to shut the world out. And when Carlos bounds into her life she struggles to understand him and his wild ways. Carlos is sure that Kiera thinks she is too good for him, which is just fine because he is not interested anyway, right? But when they finally open up to each other, the connection they feel shocks them both. Can they overcome their fears and realise that sometimes opposites reall DO attract?

I love this book! I think it's as good as the first one.

'I HAVEN'T KNOWN HER LONG AT ALL, BUT JUST LOOKING AT HER FEELS SO RIGHT. BEING WITH HER FEELS LIKE... HOME.'

There were so many romantic and sweet scenes between Carlos and Kiara.
I love Carlos! He is a bigger bad-ass than his brother - Alex.

' I KNEEL IN FRONT OF MY LOCKER AND READ THE NOTE, WRITTEN ON A TORN PIECE OF NOTEBOOK PAPER - K. THE LADY AT THE STORE SAID YELLOW MEANS FRIENDSHIP AND RED MEANS LOVE. THE ROSARY IS THE ONLY THING I HAVE THAT HAS VALUE TO ME. IT'S YOURS. I'M YOURS.'

My heart was melting...

'" YOU'RE DANGEROUS,"' HE SAYS.
' " WHY?""
'" BECAUSE YOU MAKE ME BELIEVE IN THE IMPOSSIBLE"'

This book is SO HILARIOUS! I was laughing constantly!

'TUCK SETS THE VASE DOWN ON THE WINDOW LEDGE AND SMILES WIDE.'
" OH, COME ON. DON'T BE SUCH A GRUMP. I'M HERE TO CHEER YOU UP."
" BY BRINGIN' ME PINK FLOWERS?" CARLOS SAYS, GESTURING TO THE VASE.
" ACTUALLY THE FLOWERS ARE FOR KIARA BECAUSE SHE HAS TO DEAL WITH YOU."

I love every character in this book!

Oh, and did i tell you there were some REALLY hot stuff going on? This book isn't just romantic and funny, it's smoking hot as well.

'" KIARA UNBUTTONS MY PANTS AND REACHES DOWN TO FEEL ME OVER MY SHORTS."'

Believe me, this stuff is HOT.

Like i told you before, i loved every character in this book. They could be a little bit more described but they were really well developed. Every character had a little part in the story. Like in the first book, we get to see both main characters points of view. I love that. And not only do we get that, but we also get to see what happens next with Brittanys and Alexs relationship. I love them as well, so i was so happy do be able to see how there story continues.

As always, the ( nearly) endings are full of action and thrill. I'm always looking forwards to them. The very ending was so hilarious, i was not expecting that and i can't believe it happened.

Overall, Rules of attraction is a gripping ride that you can't miss.
on 12 May 2011
I LOVED PErfect Chemistry and i wasnt too sure about reading this one, because its about another brother, etc. but i took a chance, and its pretty good, as a stand alone book. However if you compare it to the first one, its not as good, and the plot structure is really similar.
-Pushed together
-Dont get on
-Growing feelings
-pushed her away to protect her
-"First time"
-Threat dealt with
-Happily ever after

Also pretty predictable. the gang stuff in the first book seemed more real in a way, whereas here it seemed forced. i can see how alex couldnt get out of it etc, but i thought the way it was portrayed here in the mountainy surroundings could have been done better...
Love the use of spanish though :)
on 1 October 2012
I read this book in order to 'research' the voice in teen romance. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it that much, as at first, both of the lead first person characters were a bit unlikeable. The story is very much the Pride and Prejudice model, with Elizabeth Bennett as a stuttering, uncool, Colorado girl who hikes and fixes cars, and Mr. Darcy as a hot, Latino gang-banger with a secret heart of gold.

Gradually, however, I got into the voices, and the chemistry between the two characters (I haven't read the first book in the series about Carlos' older brother, so I can't compare, though it sounds like a near-identical plot). While I never quite understood what drew the characters to one another initially, I eventually found the attraction believable. I believe this is probably popular with teenagers largely due to the sex/relationship plot, with the gang sub-plot secondary. The relationship/sex was racy and well-portrayed, though I found the ending to be a bit unrealistically 'happily ever after' for my taste.

Overall, I did enjoy the book, and learned a fair bit about what Young Adults (apparently) want to read.
on 23 July 2014
Rules of attraction is the second book of Simone Elkeles' series. The first book being Perfect Chemistry, which is about a Mexican boy named Alex, who is involved in a gang/drug dealing and a rich girl named Brittany. Rules of attraction focuses on Alex's younger brother, Carlos (who is also involved in gangs and drug use), and his move from Mexico back to the USA and how he falls in love with a girl named Kiara.
I bought the book after I stumbled across a trailer of it on YouTube and I can honestly say that I loved it and it is one of my favourite YA books, to read. However if you're not big on cliche's then you might not enjoy it as much I did. Truthfully, I couldn't put the book down and it took me about a day and half to get through it. Even if you are not a fan of cliche's I would still recommend the book, just on the basis that Carlos is actually quite hilarious and makes even the most serious of situations seem funny.
on 3 June 2014
I liked this better than 'Perfect Chemistry'. I thought all the characters were strong, I liked Kiara and liked the development between her and Carlos. I LOVED Tuck. There should have been more of him.
on 7 June 2012
this book was amazing. i couldn't put it down! to be completely honest, i was tired of Alex and Brittany and I didn't enjoy Luis and Nikki as much as I love Carlos and Kiara. I became so engrossed into the book that at the end I took a likening to mountains! buy this you will not regret it.
on 24 February 2013
This story follows the life of Carlos, Alex's brother. We see what hurdles Carlos has to overcome during his life. Still a bit of gang stuff but not just as much as perfect chemistry. Good read.