Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 August 2013
Equal parts Pulp Fiction and Crime and Punishment, this is an incredible novel. I fell in love with it from the first paragraph. Hilarious, thought provoking, thrilling and contemplative. This is the real thing. The best book I've read in the last 5 years.
on 8 December 2013
A very original writer, many disparate items woven together with skill and conviction. Humorous. Humane.Maintained tension throughout its considerable length.
on 10 October 2013
Once I started to get the hang of his style I couldn't stop. A truly magnificent crime writer and I'll be following his future writings with relish.
on 29 January 2016
Long and convoluted. Takes an effort to read it all
on 25 August 2014
rather hard going but interesting
on 3 February 2015
A book like no other. Gripping
on 9 September 2013
I was totally unprepared for this book. It just swept me up, I don,t think I,ve read something so utterly gripping, wildly and brilliantly funny in a very long time. It,s crime in a small way, a central heist that gets all out of hand, and Casi the main character works in the criminal justice system in NYC, but otherwise it,s magically unpredictable and there,s so much in it I want to get stuck in all over again. A very resonant read, set aside several happy days
on 31 May 2015
My wife got me this because I am a criminal lawyer. Was looking forward to reading this because I thought I could get an insight on what happens in the States.
Wading through treacle. Page 127 and I still haven't got to the plot point promised on the jacket. Digressions and ramblings galore. If it was court, he would have been slapped down.
I have just put it down and unless I get a break from my own public defending here, unlikely to pick it up again.
on 19 January 2014
This is a book of three halves, only two of which are necessary. A compelling read with well formed characters and ideas but only a limited idea of where it is going at any time. You get the feeling the author tried too hard to be clever with moments of genius and others of youthful arrogance, not unlike the main character.
on 26 August 2014
I bailed out about 25% through which is very rare for me but it was starting to irritate me with it's overlong descriptive and narrative paragraphs. The dialogue sections were the bits I enjoyed the most even if it was hard to follow some of the lingo at times. I found the descriptions of the judicial process quite interesting but could have done with a glossary to refer to when processes or codes explained earlier came up again later on without an explanation. Overall trying too hard to be clever, too many over-long rambling sections and really just a bit too much like hard work without anything interesting enough to tempt you to stay with it. Disappointing.