on 5 June 2007
A very enjoyable read recounting a seat of the pants adventure born of frustration at the daily grind of office life. No slick production this trip , no eye to the DVD sales or TV show, just two guys with the guts to get off their backsides to live a little on their own wits & with the kindness of strangers to get them through.

No doubt an understanding of the deadpan Ulster sense of humour helps but is far from impenetrable.

He does indeed go on a little about missing his wife, so what? I would feel the same and it is just part of the overall package as much as his endless wonder at the beauty of the landscapes, the weather good & bad, the food, the people,etc.

A little reminder also to those of us who travel with preconceived notions of "national characteristics" only to find that most people utterly fail to live up to the stereotype.

Well done Geoff, I am ordering "Way to go" & would await any further books with interest.
on 17 May 2007
A dream come true for Geoff Hill and his companion Clifford Patterson - riding all the way from Chile to Alaska. Lucky guys!

Travel writer Hill shares his wonderful adventure with us in a mixture of road book and travel review. He tells us of the difficulties and pleasures of riding his Triumph over some of the best and worst conditions. He also gives us anecdotes about the people and the places he stopped in. There's something here for travel fans as well as bike enthusiasts.

I have previously read "A Long Way Round" and Hill certainly slags Charley and Ewan off on several occasions - but very much in a good humoured sort of way. He did this trip without the back-up that Boorman and McGregor had.

One thing that did get tiresome for me is the incessant exaggerated humour, eg "When Francis Drake sacked Cartagena in 1586, it claimed unfair dismissal." (p 173). If you like this kind of humour, then you'll love this book. Lots of good fun and jokes, but it does wear you down after a while.

It's also clear that Hill loves his wife Cate - and he told us this many, many, many times. Not as bad as Charley and Ewan, but once would have been enough for me.

In summary, this is an enjoyable book that is light and easy to read. You don't have to be a biker to enjoy it, but it would probably be more interesting if you ride bikes.
on 1 August 2007
An absolutely brilliant read. Not your normal motorbike rabblings. This was a great read from start to finish. So well written, very funny, full of interest and even very moving. Well done Geoff Hill. Happy and safe motorcycling.
on 16 January 2015
This is a good story & you almost feel your in the pub listening to the author.
He has not a clue about motor cycle maintenance & so relies on the skills of local mechanics whenever he meets them.
As ever, there are tales of amazing kindness in places where we are led to believe there is nothing but hostility.

Humour runs through the book & is sometimes a bit irritating but it hasn't put me off reading Geoff Hill's other books....which I ordered as soon as I'd finished 'Gobblers Knob'.
on 9 March 2011
Geoff Hill has written a tale of true adventure, I could just imagine being there with him, cracking up at his jokes, feeling homesick for "our wee country" and relishing the excitement of never knowing what was literally just round the next bend as we rode day after day from the bottom end of South America to Alaska. Travelling by motorcycle is dangerous enough but to attempt the Pan American trail with no back up or camera crew (unlike some others I could mention) takes a high degree of guts and indefatigable spirit which Geoff obviously has in bucket loads. Having been in Central America myself recently he perfectly captures what it is like to travel through places where the infrastucture and living standards are not up to Western norms but the people are so special. Finally, having also read his Sunday Times motorcycling reviews, I know that as well as being a good writer Geoff is a real biker and an encouragement for more of us old bikers to get on the road again and feel the wind in our faces and the sun on our backs. Well done Geoff and keep her lit! Take me with you the next time!
on 6 December 2014
Any motorcyclist will enjoy this book. The dry Irish sense of humour kept me smiling and I recently broke my wing mirrors in an accident in Spain so had to ride to Morroco without any, similar to Geoffs experience in South America. After some consideration I have decided definitely not to call my Triumph Tiger Tony. Recommend.
on 15 July 2007
found the book better than the usual travel writing....... well written, with relentless humour (mostly funny in my head)....... its generaly brief about all the places visited and about the preperation of the venture... mister Hill turns on the poetic descriptions of certain times, places and feelings far less than i wish he had done..... if your looking for details for ideas to sort your own panamericana trip , this is weak in info, but it will inspire as it has me..... cant help love the mans spirit.
on 11 August 2011
I really liked the first book and loved this one, just started on the next Adelaide to Adelaide journey.
Geoff and Cliff are a great team, I'd love to know what Cliff did next after falling in love with a girl in South America.
Roll on the next journey................
on 21 June 2015
Enjoyed it also helped that when I was reading it I had been talking to Barry a Northern Irish man in France so had his accent in my head laugh out loud funny am now reading in Clancys boots and still laughing(demented Welsh biker)
on 26 June 2013
Enjoyed it and always admire a motorcycle adventurer. A little too much effort in humour which became boring and a little bit of pot and kettle when it comes to slagging off Ewan and Charlie. Sure it was not at the same level but he was sponsored.