on 24 May 2009
I have not used acrylics before and this book was just what I needed. It is full of practical advice with step by step examples and it has been an invaluable supplement to my art classes. I would recommend this book to anyone who has not had a lot of experience with acrylics. I found it inspirational
on 1 September 2009
I've been painting for several years with oil painting and watercolors but I've never tried the new acrylic colors. That's why I was looking for a simple but complete guide for acrylic painting. I think this book accomplishes that goal perfectly giving you a complete panorama of the new possibilites acrylic painting provides.
on 21 June 2017
Great book.
on 16 November 2007
As a beginner to acrylic paints this book is ideal for me as it describes well the different techniques that can be employed. The many examples of completed paintings are also a great source of inspiration.
on 27 April 2011
While the author is honest in calling this book an encyclopaedia, it's a mini-encyclopaedia. It runs to 175 pages with index and is well-illustrated throughout. Like all such books, it is organised alphabetically, but this may not be the best way to introduce amateurs or hobbyists to the subject of painting with acrylics. It assumes that they know what acrylic paint is, what it should be painted on and what tools to use, for example.

The front and back covers (identical) show what the reader can assume to be sections from the book, but when I looked for "fantasy" as promised on the cover, it was absent from the A-Z layout of the text and also from the index.

I am sure, however, that the abundance of illustrations will inspire anyone to experiment with this painting medium, since acrylic paint is renowned for its bright colours which are particularly resistant to fading and I have no hesitation in recommending it to a beginner or to someone who has been painting in acrylics and is looking for a source of inspiration.

p.s. I have since found the "abstraction & fantasy" section of the book. It's the last four pages before the index and fits well with the overall feel of the rest (that is, it's brief, colourful and leaves the reader to their own devices).
on 29 December 2009
I'm a newcomer to acrylic painting so this book has been an excellent resource. Really clear, helpful guide with excellent pictures. I'd recommend this book to newbies and the more seasoned artist alike.
on 24 November 2010
This book is a good starting point for anyone delving into acrylic painting. It is refreshing to find a book that is not just a promotional platform for the artist author and their style of painting. The book is full of paintings and styles by a large variety of artists for inspiration and lots of information of techniques by the author herself.

My only critism, hence four stars, is the alphabetic style of the book which kind of makes it hard work, I know it's an encylopedia but this format does not sit well in a practical subject.
on 13 December 2012
Explaining with artists paintings, does not tell you how to do. All techniques are represented, but that is the most one can say.
on 28 February 2012
Read this very comprehensive book from cover to cover. Fantastic step by step instructions on all of the different styles to use in acrylic painting. Some fabulous paintings by artists towards the end of the book with descriptions of how they did them. I shall copy one or two and see how I do. Great book.
on 29 January 2011
I had looked forward to receiving this book but was disappointed as I had also ordered the Acrylic Artists Bible. They were almost identical although supposedly by different authors. The illustrations etc werethe same and also the text. Please do not order both. I did return this one with no problems.