Customer reviews

on 6 February 2010
This is a fascinating insight into the birth and early development of NFI. Virgo is clearly a man of great faith and his humble trust in God's will and ways are clear to see. There are a few things he says that really surprised me, particularly some of the more "colourful" individuals he has welcomed onto his NFI platform, and the way he has clearly allowed false prophets to speak into NFI without any obvious rebuttal from him. It's a great book for anone interested in church planting and church leadership in general, but read with caution. The biggest problem with the book though, is that it's way out of date. Published in 2001, it has nothing of NFI's increasingly Calvinistic leanings (although TV is clear about his own convictions throughout the book), nothing about their softening towards parachurch organisations (eg UCCF), and nothing about the challenges of running a network of the fastest-growing churches in the UK. For me at least, the most interesting years of NFI have been the last 10! How about a 2nd edition?
on 27 May 2015
An very entertaining, instructive and inspiring narrative for anyone interested in discovering how Terry Virgo became the founder of New Frontiers. Also they will find an informative account of the historical beginnings of the Charismatic movement. Well worth the read.
on 2 December 2016
Brilliant book. One I can see myself referring to over and over again. Incredible journey of faith.
on 3 June 2010
I'm always a fan of biographical accounts of Christians and this one didn't let me down.

I don't go to a New Frontiers church but have had close links with a number of NFI churches over the years, so when I managed to pick up a copy of this second hand it looked to be a promising read. The book is a clear life story of both Terry Virgo and the New Frontiers movement which he founded.

What challenged me the most was that he always tried to act on the working of God through the Holy Spirit, and that he expected God to work. This leads to some very honest musings over the starting of the charismatic movement and some of the politics of that both at what was London Bible College and in the early `apostolic meetings'.

A book that's worth reading, although I'm sure it's due an update soon.
on 24 October 2001
As an admirer of Terry Virgo who, although not-NFI, has benefited greatly from his teaching and the ministry of the NFI movement I found a lot to get my teeth into.
It's a book which will stimulate thought and challenge accepted wisdom about God and His church, particularly in this country. I was challenged in particular by his use of prophecy in leadership and the way he leads his church 'outside the box'. I was encouraged by Terry's combination of sound theology and belief and reliance on a God who acts.
Why only 4 stars? Well, although Terry charts his journey and thoughts on church excellently, I would have liked to find out more about Terry himself - what makes him tick, does he have a 'hinterland', any 'thorns'?
But maybe I'm being picky because I admire him & his achievements so much.
on 12 July 2009
I should caveat this review by saying that I'm not in a New Frontiers church and as such don't know all that much about them first hand but I wanted to learn more and thought that this would be a good starting point.

I found this book a fascinating history of both Terry Virgo as a person and the New Frontiers movement. It conveyed to me a sincere message of humility and faith through a catalogue of remarkable stories. Most impressive for me was the decision to cease the Stoneleigh Bible weeks at their peak in response to a prophetic word. That step of obedience seems to have been wonderfully rewarded and is certainly a challenge to me personally.

One of the most interesting chapters I found to be chapter 27, "Turning up the Contrast", where the author briefly but clearly points out the NF position on women in leadership, parachurch movements, Israel and spiritual warfare. While I can't say that I agree with some of the positions taken, I do appreciate the spirit in which they have been presented and it's certainly better to start with what NF actually says about such issues, rather than go with the rumor mill and learn their opinions from others!

So, all in all, well worth a read if you're interested in being inspired to live a life of faith and follow hard after Jesus.

If you're interested in the historical angle of the charismatic churches in the UK, this goes well with Andrew Walker's book, Restoring the Kingdom.
on 2 December 2001
Terry succeeds magnificently in presenting not only his own history but also that of the Charismatic renewal and New Frontiers International, the stream of churches most closely associated with the author. I was initialy reluctant to even read this book, autobiographies being of little interest to me, but so many friends were hungrily devouring the pages that I eventualy caved in and bought a copy. I'm glad I did, it has been tremendously valuable to me and not at all autobiographical in any negative sense. As someone who turned to Christ inside the past decade it has been eye opening to catch the whole history of this significant teacher and minister in the apostolic vein. He has placed his own story in the midst of the bigger picture and it has been inspirational to read who and how various "streams" and names have tied in together to form the richer tapestry. In doing so Terry has provided a very readable book that will prove informative to all who have any interest in what has been happening (primarily but not only) in the church in the UK. I wholeheartedly recommend it to Christians of all persuasions, charismatic and non charismatic, since a better understanding of our roots and those things that have shaped who we are can hopefully help to overcome misunderstanding and inspire unity in diversity.
on 4 September 2001
No well-worn paths charts the Christian life and ministry of NFI leader, Terry Virgo from his conversion in the 1950s through to the present day. I have read a number of autobiographical works by Christian leaders, and this is certainly one of the best. The author focusses in on the teaching that God has given him, rather than all the conferences he has spoken at. The approach is very humble and refreshing.
This book has certainly been an encouragement for me, in that Terry came from quite humble beginnings to go on to do great things for God, which he is still doing today. Excellent book that I would recommend to anyone. As Professor Andrew Walker says on the back cover, 'It is not merely good, it is destined to become a classic.'
on 22 September 2001
This book was just BRILLIANT. I couldn't put it down once I started reading it, totally captivated by Terry's life, the things he endured and his vision for the restoration of "The New Testament Church".
Having grown up in an NFI church, this book really helped me understand how it came about and what previous generations have gone through to path the ways for the next generation.
When I read this book I could imagine Terry reading it out aloud, that surely means its a good book!
on 29 March 2010
This books gives a fascinating insight into the background behind the growth of New Frontiers. It details some of the frustrations and lessons, as well as the triumphs along the way, and shows how God has worked over the years to build a significant and growing movement which continues to have a worldwide influence.