on 29 August 2000
I was commissioned to edit this edition for Gay Men's Press in 1986 when the Gay's the Word Bookshop had trouble with the UK Customs over an imported edition.
It is an amzing novel, as I say in the introduction. What has surprised me most is the reaction - readers of all persuasions have enjoyed it. It is not just a sexual novel - athough it is very sexual, exploring every possible kind of sexual actvity, straight and gay, before the gay climax.
And did Oscar Wilde himself write it? We will never know. I like to say he had a hand in it. This edition gives the COMPLETE text for the first time - and the ending is a redemptive one, not the tragedy everyone assumes a gay novel has to have.
As always Oscar was ahead of his time.
Judge for yourself.
on 10 February 2016
While I did enjoy the novella, my reading experience was spoiled by the sloppy edition I had purchased. Not sure if it was only my amazon edition or others as well, but the book contains a great deal of typographical errors. For example, most 'you' are spelled as '/bu', 'y' are generally misprinted as 'v', and there are much more typos that complicate the whole reading experience.
on 20 January 2014
a fascinating curiosity,but srtrangely lacking in joie de vivre.Perhaps the sense of doom reflects the alienation felt by gay people at the time.It certainly strikes a more sombre note than I expected
on 17 April 2013
good binding and thrilling contents. it is beyond expectation. but I don't think it is written by Wilde. it is unfair to attribute a work to an author merely according to the theme.
on 1 April 2014
Enjoyed the story. Ahead of its time, for me it read like a 1980s gay novel. A lot of, I think, unnecessary gratuitous violence and sex. But definitely worth reading.