This is an excellent and informative study of the subjects, a number of little known railways and tramways, and is recommended for anyone interested in the history of minor Welsh railways. This edition is 240 pages with photographs, illustrations and maps in the text. It is No. 32 in the Oakwood Press' Library of Railway History, the second edition, from 2004. The first edition was a collection of several short works originally self-published by Lewis Cozens in the 1950s, and edited by Roger Kidner. This edition is heavily revised by Brian Poole.
The Contents are - P005: Introduction to the Second Edition P007: The Mawddwy Railway P031: A New Beginning P051: Mawddwy Locomotives and Rolling Stock P061: Mawddwy Memories P079: The Hendre-ddu Tramway P109: The Van Railway P133: Van Memories P161: The Kerry railway P181: Kerry Railway Memories P219: The Kerry Tramway P237: Appendices (x2) P240: Bibliography
From the Author's original Introduction - "The Mawddwy Railway, which was of standard gauge, formed part of British Railways (Western Region) and ran between Cemmes Road (Montgomeryshire) - 5 miles 10 chains east of Machynlleth - and Dinas Mawddwy (Merioneth), a distance of 6 miles 63 chains." "The railway had a chequered career. Constructed at the instance of Mr. (later Sir) Edmund Buckley in 1866/67 it led a hand-to-mouth existence before falling into disuse in 1908. Under Cambrian Railways auspices and the drive of Mr. David Davies of Llandinam (later 1st Baron Davies of Llandinam) it was re-opened in 1911 for all traffic, only to expire in 1951 - 20 years after the last regular passenger trains had run."
From the Author's original Introduction: "The Van Railway at the time of its closing in July 1941 formed part of the Great Western Railway and from its terminus adjoining the G.W.R. Company's Caersws (Montgomeryshire) station carried its standard gauge single line in a south-westerly direction to reach the formerly celebrated Van lead mines in a distance of 6 miles 46½ chains." It opened in 1871 for freight traffic and in 1873 for passenger traffic. It closed in 1893 and reopened in 1896 for freight, finally closing in 1941.
From the Author's original Introduction: "The Kerry Railway forms part of British Railways (Western Region) and is a standard gauge branch leaving the Oswestry-Aberystwyth main line at Abermule (Montgomeryshire) to climb 3 miles 61 chains into the Kerry hills to serve the village of that name." The railway opened in 1863, merged with the Cambrian Railway in 1864, the GWR in 1922, became freight only in 1931 and joined British Railways in 1948.
3 people found this helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?