Customer reviews

on 9 April 2009
i found this book very informative about all aspects of the disaster coming from all angles. The naritive style makes for easy reading with shortish statements from those who were there on the day and their recolletions piecing together the day from leaving home to getting back again. Hearing from the survivors, the medics, police, and those who lost family gives insight as to what it was like for everyone on the day and their pain, especially thatof the hicks family who lost both their teenage daughters. I would highly recommend this book to anyone
on 8 June 2016
This book has to be read
on 23 January 2013
Am a liverpool supporter and this is well worth a read and is a revelation to the injustice to the 96.
on 30 August 2015
A full eyewitness account of the day that gives only a glimpse of the horror of the disaster.
on 28 May 2008
I was 12 years old when I set off from my home in Derbyshire on the morning of 15 April 1989 for Hillsborough, for the FA Cup semi-final between my team, Nottingham Forest, and Liverpool that afternoon.

To this day, I can still vividly remember the bright sunshine, the traffic leading into Sheffield, eating sandwiches by the river behind the South Stand where my ticket was for, the ground filling up, the two pens behind the goal in the Liverpool end being much fuller than the ones either side, the match kicking off, Beardsley hitting the bar, a huge surge behind the Liverpool goal, an inflatable banana not returning back up the terrace, the fans coming over the fences, the fear of it being trouble, the injured being stretchered across the pitch on advertising boards, the line of police across the middle of the pitch, Dalglish on the tannoy, the lone Liverpool supporter breaking through the police corden and then falling to his knees and screaming in front of the Forest fans in the Kop, the match eventually being officially abandoned, someone saying five people were dead as we silently filed out of the ground, that figure rising all the way back to the car where the radio said it was fifty, sitting in silence in the car for ages and ages whilst my friend's Dad went to find a phone to ring my parents, the traffic being completey stationary for hours and it being dark when I got home.

The next day I found out that an 18 year old lad who lived round the corner from me and was a big Liverpool fan had not made it home that night. He had been killed whilst his mate had been pulled up into the stand behind during the crush. I'd been to the Forest v Liverpool league match at the City Ground that season with the both of them.

This book brings the memories of that awful day flooding back and at times made me openly cry. Despite thinking about it every single day since, I've not been able to read anything about that day for 19 years until now. I'm glad I have now though, because this story should NEVER be allowed to be forgotten or distorted. The book tells the story by letting the day unfold exactly as it did in the eyes of the people who were there and were affected by that awful, awful day.

96 RIP.
on 27 February 2007
I bought and read this book immediately after having read Anne Williams' book, When you walk through the storm.

Once again its heartwreching, especially when reading of The Hicks families double loss. I still found it very upsetting despite telling myself I was a little more prepared for this one following reading Annes book.

Once again, be prepared to be hurt, shocked and appalled by the authorities lack of any sympathy or ethics towards the victims.

Another 5/5 from me, I just wish the book, along with Annes, had never had reason to be written in the first place.
on 15 September 2004
Anyone who remembers hillsborough occurring on TV or the news should read this book. It is insightful and at times completely heart wrenching. it shows the disaster from a variety of perspectives: fans,survivors,police,medical staff and most importantly the loved ones left bereaved. The book builds the atmosphere of the day from anticipation of a great sporting event, through the graphic trauma of the event itself into the anger and pain at the aftermath and emergency repsonse. It fills the reader with very strong feelings and I could not put this book down until i had read every word. This is probably the best book I have ever read and every football fan should read it.
on 26 May 1999
The Day of the Hillsborough Disaster is a poignant, provocative, and, at times, heart wrenching account of the day 96 Liverpool fans died on the Leppings Lane Terrace at Hillsborough.
Everyone had high hopes for a great day and an exciting match. The normalcy of lives on the morning of April 15th - families packing picnic lunches, dads wondering what the team line up would be, young kids saying goodbye to anxious mothers - creates an ever-more somber introduction to the fateful day.
The narrative accounts from survivors of the disaster are harrowing in their honesty and intensity. Onlookers could only stand and watch as the horrors unfolded - frustrated in their helplessness. And the shocking and callous way that some families, looking for their loved ones after the tragedy, were treated is heartbreaking.
For anyone wanting an "as it happens" account of the events at Hillsborough - reading the experiences of bereaved parents, survivors, police, medical staff, and TV sports presenters - this is a must.
There is no sensationalism, no embellishment. This is an honest, tragic tale, told by those who were there, in an attempt to find the answer, Why?
Julie Pankratz
on 30 April 2003
This is a deeply disturbing yet thoroughly gripping account of those terrible events which those who watched them unfold will never forget.It filled me with disgust to be honest.
But it should recieve the widest possible readership.
on 9 May 2006
the authors decided to tell the story of this unbelievable disaster from the view of those affected which makes this book that touching and emotional - and I believe authentic.

Being too young to remember and not from the UK I only heard from the Hillsborough disaster when there were minutes of silence or commemoration ceremonys before EPL matches but didn't have a clue what really happened on this fateful day.

This book offered me an insight into that tragic incident with a lot of background-information as well as it's consequences.

I have to say, never has a book touched me more.