on 12 November 2007
This book is for genuine crossword enthusiasts and, as such, the clues are challenging which is great. They are also extremely well constructed and are a delight to get your teeth into. I thoroughly recommend this for anyone who loves crosswords.
on 14 January 2009
As a devotee of the Guardian's cryptic crossword for nearly 20 years, I find their weekly selection nearly always runs the gamut between gently engaging and fiendishly impenetrable. Sitting nearer to the gentle side of the equation is Rufus. In my experience, he's reasonably faithful to the classic Ximenean rules and is rarely so obscure that you have to go running to Google or the dictionary. Perfect for enthusiasts who want an enjoyable romp rather than a teeth-grinding hour of agony.
on 25 June 2009
I've worked through the puzzles by Rufus and Gordius. Both compilers have provided some clever and amusing clues which can provide hours, in fact days, of entertainment. I preferred those by Rufus. They are a little easier and often witty. Some of those by Gordius have obscure solutions -- rare words, place names and so on -- which it seems to me require rather specialist knowledge.
on 16 January 2014
I was very pleased to find this collection. I always used to enjoy doing crosswords set by Rufus when they appeared in the Times Educational Supplement and was very sorry when they stopped including it. This collection has the solutions in the back if you want to check.
on 9 May 2010
Purely personally I see no point in crosswords that include words of which few have heard. Some of the clues have some wit and use a lot of ambiguity but what destroys it for me is that once you know how many obscure terms are sprinkled in, you can 'give up' on difficult ones when you could possibly have solved them. Primarily it is between you and the puzzle so having to resort to abstruse research works to find answers is like asking someone else to solve it for you; you might as well look at the solution in the back of the book! No problem with a dictionery if all you are doing is checking spelling or precise meaning etc. but beyond that step forward university challengers! Having said all that, Bunthorne's ingenuity is evident throughout this book.
on 26 May 2013
He's one of the easier Guardian setters but still has you thinking! I'll order more titles - pity they're not currently doing Araucaria.
on 25 December 2014
Easier than I expected for a Guardian crossword. Can finish most of them within 40 mins
on 15 January 2015
Bought this for my Mum for a little extra Christmas present as she's an avid Guardian cryptic crossword fan. She was very happy with it and plenty in there to keep her occupied for a good long while.
on 20 October 2013
Great crossword book. Absolutely as new at unbelievable price - also delivered very quickly. I would definitely recommend Orbitingbooks and will use them again when the occasion arises.
on 27 September 2015
I love this collection by "Rufus" which is certainly not easy, but who wants easy crosswords? It lives in my handbag,ready for those unexpected few minutes to spare...