Customer reviews

on 18 August 2010
I find this series of books a bit hit and miss, but this one (being written by "Tubal Cain") is well above average. Lots of useful information, a little metallurgical background, pleasantly and clearly written, and not condescending. Highly recommended.
on 30 May 2011
To the normal high standard of the Workshop Practice series.
For anyone needing to know the basics when starting out, or wanting reference of temperatures and material compositions, this book is a "One Stop Shop" written by a master with an easy to understand style.
on 27 June 2014
A really useful book for both the amateur and more experienced " joiner" of metals. Brazing should be strait forward but life does not always work out as expected or hoped. This tutorial is a great reminder of a systematic approach to enable
success to be the norm. There are none so cleaver that they can learn no more!
Well done.
on 25 April 2013
Easy to read guide with a fair amount of discussion about the pros and cons of silver soldering vs brazing. Also discussion on techniques as you might imagine. Rather a lot of reference material on different solder make ups...I'm sure useful for reference...though for me I would hope to purchase solder/brazing material specified for the job and hope the composition is correct!
on 25 September 2015
Excellent content very good for the beginner
on 3 April 2013
This gives really good information for a virtual beginner, it is clearly written and I now understand what I'm doing!.
Very good - but dated.

In many respects I didn't need to buy this book. As a marine engineer (Chief Engineer) and having worked building and modifying ships and offshore construction vessels I have a pretty good idea of how to join metal together in various ways.

But, I'm inveterately curious and also I've been a sporadic model maker in any subject or style that piques my interest when time and commitments allow. And of course one has to always be honest with oneself and admit that there is always more to learn no matter how small and when I'm away overseas working I like to read up on this sort of subject.

Tubal Cain - the the pseudonym for Tom Walshaw a well know model engineer (and professional) born in 1912, died 1998 - and his writing style and information reflects his age at time of writing. It's quite heavyweight and information dense which I find I rather like but then I like books written in the early part of the 1900's. I think this book was written in 1985 and it shows. The style is earlier which is fine but the information falls between the cracks in the decades. Prior to the 1980's one would get most of the hardware and chemicals from small, knowledgeable and convenient family hardware stores. Mr. Walshaw bemoans the loss of these shops and the range of items they stock because by the mid 80's large DIY stores had taken over with the more mass market targeted supplies. And to modern eyes this is rather quaint given the age we live in now when just a few short years after this book was written the world wide web appeared and opened up the model engineer to simply everything at modest price.

So where the chapters focus on subjects such as making fluxes are well covered they are also mostly irrelevant because today you can simply go online and find any exotic solder or flux combination and have it delivered to your door cheaper than 'Tubal Cain,' could have got by driving down to his local hardware store and making it.

Where Mr. Walshaw is excellent is his description of the chemistry of soldering and brazing which is of course still relevant today. His techniques are well covered and should give anyone from a novice to an expert good information that they can use on their projects.

In many ways I enjoyed this book as a trip down memory lane as it was written in 1985 when I was an engineering cadet and very much reminds me of the books we used.
on 4 June 2012
An excellent fully descriptive book enabling the uninitiated to fully understand the technical details of the various processes without overcomplicating the technology.
on 17 June 2015
It's amazing to me having left school in 1971 just how much of the knowledge in this book I had learned in Metalwork but forgotten or even worse, mis-remembered. I want to get back into Silver soldering and Brazing, but was so confused by my memories that I had not done anything about it until I found this book. A well written book for absolute beginners, and returnees with an aging memory!
on 28 March 2015
Again this was a gift so sorry I cannot write a review.