on 29 December 2014
Quite a good comprehensive introduction to complementary therapies. Includes history, application and reasons for choosing . I would recommend as a starting point for further study.
on 19 April 2008
Thank goodness I only borrowed this book from my library and didn't fork out hard-earned cash for it.

I have always thought of Which? as an impartial and independent champion for conusmer rights, so when I borrowed this book I expected a fair and unbiased read. Don't let the subtitle of the book fool you ("An independent look..."). A quick look at the 'About the author' section states that Helen Barnett is "a practising acupuncturist". Hardly what I would call unbiased. And the list of acknowledgments reads like a who's who in CAM (complementary and alternative medicine). There is not an independent body amongst them. Talk about vested interests!

I was tempted to give this book 1 star out of 5, but, to me at least, it is reasonably interesting in that it does describe a lot of different CAMs. So, 2 out of 5 it is.

In summary, borrow this book from the library (if you must), but do not buy it. And, shame on you 'Which?' - I expected better.