Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 October 2000
I First picked up this book, on the first day of my Film Studies A Level course.I was curious so i took it out of the library, that was a month ago, now its helping me so much with my assignments & it truly is a book that all college & uni students studying film & cinema, should own.
on 22 March 2001
This is a great book! I bought it as a student on a film course and found it a wealth of good clear foundation information. It's also got lots of leads about where to do more indepth research. Now two years later I still dip into the book regularly as it is a pleasure to read and look at. If you like cinema then you'll like this book.
on 8 December 2003
I'm a student whose in my final year at university and find that this book is a must have!!!It breaks everything down into bits that can be understood VERY easily (even the stuff that isn't really meant to be understood!). The book is listed as recommended reading in my course and every lecturer swears by it too! If your a film student then I would definately recommend this book as it has helped me in every assignment I have had!
on 7 September 2012
I bought the second edition of this book when I heard it was recommended reading for anyone taking film studies at school.
Although I'm not taking such a course I do have a deep love for all cinema so I took a chance and bought it.
Weighing in at over 400 pages this is a beast of a book and extremely in depth.
It charts everything from the starts to all the major US studios, different narratives, technical aspects (lighting, sound, widescreen, etc...), German, British, Italian and French cinema, all the different genres of cinema (western, melodrama, science fiction, horror etc...), auteurs of cinema and much, much more.
This is not a book to just dip into. It's a comprehensive study and a must for anyone who enjoys more than 'just watching films'.
on 19 November 2007
I would agree with the other reviewers that this is a model of its kind.
It's obviously aimed mainly at students on film courses but unlike a lot of those books can be read by 'general readers' (like me!) without any difficulty. Some of the sections appealed to me more than others (the more theoretical parts are surely of less interest to non-academics). But the best part about the book is that the sections you are interested in reference other books and resources on those topics. So it is well worth picking up as a guide to future exploration- especially if you can pick up a reduced copy .

Recommended if you're interested in cinema in general and curious about the more academic way of analysing films. But just because this is mainly for students it does have a bit of a textbook feel and should definitely not be confused with a Film Guide like Halliwells or Time Out!
on 6 February 2011
A beautiful book in many ways. the pictures that support the text are fantastic and the content of the book is incredibly interesting especially for anyone as interested in the history of film as myself. This book gives a great insight into the world of cinema and its history. A must read book for film students or for anyone with a true passion for film and cinema
on 2 October 2013
The book came in a better condition than I expected considering that it is a library book. There were no highlights or notes in the book which made it feel new
on 17 November 2012
Good value for money. Although it is quite an old edition, it is a very comprehensive study of cinema history.