on 19 October 2003
This is another terrific book from John Stott. In his short write-up and expansion of 4 sermons preached at All Souls Church, Langham Place, London, Stott refers to Bertrand Russell's 1927 public address at Battersea entitled "Why I am not a Christian" which 30 years later became a collection of essays with that title. However this book is not an answer to Russell, but does make the case for Christianity, making points that Russell never considered.
So why is Stott a Christian? In the seven chapters, Stott gives 6 reasons why he is a Christian, and finally an invitation to the reader to respond to "the greatest of all invitations" from Jesus Christ himself.
Stott's six reasons?
1. Not because I found Christ, but because he, the Hound of Heaven, pursued me.
2. Because I am convinced that the claims of Jesus are true.
3. Because of the cross of Christ.
4. Because Christianity best explains who we are, both our weaknesses and our glories.
5. Because Jesus Christ is the key to true freedom.
6. Because human beings have aspirations which only Christ can fulfil.
There are less than 140 pages of text, but the book packs a lot into those pages and is highly recommended.
on 13 October 2013
This is a very clear and Biblical account of how and why John Stott came to faith. I would recommend it to anyone, whether they were a believer or not. It's easy to read and not too long.