Customer reviews

on 20 October 2014
This book causes you to begin to understand the stupidity and uselessness of the General Staff at that time. It was a tradgery so easily avoide. My father was there with RWF.I consider myself lucky. Being wounded he came home. Thousands di not.
One person found this helpful
on 20 July 2014
Apart from Serre, Mametz Wood probably carry's the most emotion of the Somme Battlefields. A 'Holy Place' for the Welsh people.
One person found this helpful
on 15 May 2015
no comment
on 4 August 2016
An excellent account of the battle my grandfather fought and died in
on 16 January 2015
Excellent and we'll researched book
on 16 April 2005
This book will be a 'must' for those like me, who have a fascination with the Somme and have collected the other books in the Battleground Europe series. It follows the same format as the others. The research is most impressive and in my view the book easily outclasses its predecessors in the series.

Mr Renshaw has been able to harness his background as a resident of the Somme department and it shows in the walking tours. Here is the insiders Somme battlefield. The positions of trenches meticulously identified and marked on present day photographs and the Author has clearly gone to exceptional lengths. This little book is a coruscating companion to anyone who seeks to follow in the footsteps of Siegfired Sassoon, David Jones or Wynn Griffeths. The events of July 1916 are brought alive for the reader in a way few other books of this nature have achieved.
The final pages detailing the return to the battlefield by Welsh veterans is a classic of its kind. If you buy no other book on the Somme battlefield or the Great War, buy this one.
25 people found this helpful
on 1 July 2014
Nice paper and good quality little book. I have read bits of it and it explains it well. Worth getting if you're tracing ancestor's steps during the Somme

I can't remember if this took quite a while to be delivered or the History of the 38th (Welsh) Division that I ordered, so I can't really comment on delivery.