Format: Hardcover|Change

Not a literary classic but a very good collection of accounts from the Jocks that were actually there when the balloon went up (including the author!). If you have ever wondered why one would choose the profession of solider then this is the book to read. The author captures the esprit de corps and camaraderie between men in battle ... along with the lighter side of living in the back of a Warrior AFV. The best account of battle during Operation Granby (Desert Storm).
on 26 October 1999
This is a blow by blow account written in a "fly on the wall" manner of an Infantry Battalion sent from Germany to Saudi in order to expell Iraq fron Kuwait. It is written in an unusual style which joins together snippets of interviews from officers and men alike and it reports it as it was said. There are no brave and grand statements here. This is what makes it so valuable. Rupert Smith said "I am becoming less certain exactly when I began to know what I know now". That is why this is different : it was written based on testimony that has not had time to benefit from hinsdsight. It will prove to be an important research tool in the future.
on 10 November 2014
Campaign records are always an interesting read. Some disappointment in this one as it's written by a civilian although no doubt he'll say he is qualified because he works for the IWM - I've got news for him! So many trivial errors which wouldn't have been committed by someone who actually knows what they're writing about. I also found myself speed reading through a lot of minutiae.

The main message gets across though and to be honest were I a Jock fighting under this CO I'd have shot him instead of the enemy. You can take pride a little too far. To deny your battalion rest and recreation for three months is not best policy. Despite that the unit fought well in the one or two actions they did manage to pull off before the surrender of Iraqi Forces. I see one of the Jocks managed to shoot a Coy Cmdr though: I wonder who he was really aiming at?

The sellers don't have it in paperback so I took a hardback copy at £4.49 + £2.80 P&P and regardless of my comments it was worth the money. I'd have felt well stung if I'd paid over a tenner for it.
on 10 June 2002
as im one of the soldiers in the book i found it really goods reading it as to see how the other companies fought the war and to see the maps of the areas we covered it was really really interesting
on 4 March 2013
Having been with this Regiment , i can confirm its was hard , well done to all that are in book
on 6 March 2015
my husband liked this book very much, having actually been there serving with the royal scots made it even more special to him, many thanks.