on 6 August 2010
Being Atheist and not being able to fully understand how people can think there is a 'almighty god' looking over us all, I wasn't looking forward to reading this. However, as I do like to read most books that past my hands, I had to at least try it.

I have to say from the beginning I jumped straight into the book thinking I would dislike it greatly. I was pleasantly surprised when I found myself unable to put the book down, wanting to know what happened to Deborah, Ron and Denver. I really enjoyed Denver's part of the book where he explains in great detail just what life was like living on a Plantation in Red River Parish and how he got to getting arrested and then moving to Fort Worth, Texas and becoming homeless after that.

I wasn't too fond of Ron's side of the story, an art dealer who is pushed into volunteering at a homeless shelter, all because his wife had a 'vision' that she could change the future for the homeless people. I just didn't buy it.

After that the book got a little heavy in the evangelical sense and a little heartbreaking when you discover that Deborah has a terminal illness. There were few times I felt the lump swell in my throat. I didn't like all the 'visitations' and 'messages from god', but then that is my beliefs (or lack of) kicking in.

Overall a good read. Not something I would normally pick up off the shelf and want to try, but I'm honestly glad I did.

This book was provided by Book Sneeze ([...]
on 19 July 2010
This book tells the true life story of how an unlikely friendship between a White Texan Art dealer and a Black homeless man when this Texan Millionaire decides to help at a local homeless shelter. Denver Moore starts his life as a 'free' slave involved in the crop-sharing era in Louisianan. During this time, while Ron Hall was securing himself as a well known in the Art Dealing world, although not without his own difficulties, Denver is picking cotton for a Louisiana land owner, 'The Man'. The cotton is never enough to pay off the store where supplies are bought on credit and so the 'free' men are trapped in a continuing cycle. Denver eventually decides to make a new start and jumps on a passing train...

I hadn't heard of this book before and it wasn't one that I would normally choose, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down. Written from the point of view of both men it allowed the reader to see the struggles of homelessness, and indeed slavery, in a whole new light. It also allowed the reader to question their own motives when 'doing good' or offering help to those less fortunate. Denver Moore's insightful and humbling opinions on life are inspiring.

Also, get your hankies by your side, Ron Hall's discussions on his wife's battle with cancer will bring a tear to the eye of anyone. And again the strength of this unlikely friendship is shown with Denver Moore's unfaltering beliefs and strength, combined with Ron Hall's belief in this homeless man leave you feeling a warmth inside.

I would recommend this book to anyone, and I will. The way that both men describe some incidents in their own words allows a deeper understanding of the truth that there are always two sides to every story and that it is always what is on the inside that counts.

Thomas Nelson provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.
on 27 February 2014
This was a little confusing at first as chapters jump between the two main characters.That aside,you get into the flow and it is a truly heartwarming tale.
on 7 September 2012
This is one of those books where I risk just waxing lyrical - I loved it so much.

Denver's parts of the book are the most interesting and moving. It's shocking to realise people live and grow up in the kind of awful conditions we imagine went out with slavery.

Denver's definition of real friendship, as recounted by Ron, is one of the best I've ever, ever read.

A really moving, beautiful book, which I read in 24 hours (I only put it down to sleep, and then only because I couldn't keep my eyes open) and recommended/loaned to everyone straight after I finished reading.
on 28 November 2012
If ever there was a book that I would recommend for everyone to read, this is it!
A heart reaching, raw, true story ,that can only leave you changed for the better by reading it. A valuable lesson in life, in what it means to be human, and how quite often the teacher becomes the pupil......A page turner. Expect the unexpected, and keep the Kleenex handy.
on 12 February 2015
I lovely true story of tremendous friendship, giving, love, sorrow, fear, Grace and finally peace. Heart rending at times. Worth every minute spent reading it.
on 1 March 2013
This book came highly recommended to me. It was perfect lent reason. Lovely characters, heartwarming, but painful storyline. Very uplifting and thought provoking
on 7 March 2013
Very beleivble story, inspiring, touching and beautifull. I love it. I started reading this book and didn't want to put it down.
on 18 June 2014
The truth of this book challenges us to see beyond ourselves and realise that we should lay aside or selfish pride and view other with the eyes of God. We are no better or worse than anybody else!
on 27 January 2012
If you want a read that will lift you up and humble you at the same time, and challenge you to see people differently as well as refresh your hope, read this.