Customer reviews

on 29 September 2014
Usually a fan of Dover but this is a thin offering - despite the cover, all images are black & white, and there's no accompanying text. Go for the Prestel edition: lots of colour plates and a useful introductory essay.
on 22 October 2017
Its long-lasting appearance in print is well deserved for its exceptional illustrations of a little known world.
on 31 July 2017
Bought it as I had a later but as I discovered much betyyter version of this book.
on 23 April 2017
A beautifully produced book
on 16 November 2008
I have owned this book for many years and it is still in my top three favourites for inspiration.The black and white drawings,mostly of microscopic marine life,are incredibly detailed and are absolutely beautiful,they will make you wish you were a marine biologist or a science fiction film set and alien designer(probably).I would have them as wallpaper,but I may be in the minority on that one.If you are interested in art,marine biology or if,like me,you just like looking at beautifully drawn pictures,I truly believe you will love this book.
on 30 May 2007
A beautiful book for creative inspiration. However, the cover is misleading as all the prints are in black and white.
on 27 October 2010
Love this book - beautiful, detailed plates of protozoa, diatoms, plants and animals. Didn't realise they'd all be black and white, because of the cover art, but they'd be good to photocopy and colour I suppose. I use it for science with my home-educated son but also to help him design imaginary creatures and objects for stories.
on 26 April 2015
Wow !! I can sit and gaze in awe for hours, at these wonderful illustrations. What an artist ! What patience he must have had ! Inspiration for the nature-lover, artist, or those like me who like to simply gaze in wonder at the infinite diversity and beauty, of lifeforms.
on 25 January 2015
I'd give this ten stars if I could. It's a fabulous book, chock-a-block with exquisite drawings and a treasury of design ideas for anyone involved in any sort of artistic endeavour. I gasped when I opened it, and am still awestruck.
on 20 September 2010
Excellent book cram-packed with a good selection of the illustrations of the famous German biologist Haeckel. I am a teacher and it is a very useful reference book for students studying the structure of natural forms such as shells etc. Only draw back - the pages are rather thin and flimsy, much less robust than another similar book I have.