on 15 June 1998
I selected this book at random, on the advice of my friend to "get a norwegian course-book if you really want to learn" and it was the best chance i took. the layout of the course is excellent, and the dialogs are very interesting. I like the way the book tells the story of John, an British student, and Bente, a Norwegian au pair. Hey, how bout a follow up: "Teach Yourself Advanced Norwegian" :)
on 30 December 1997
This book is the best book published by anyone to learn a scandinavian language. It's very concise and besides this language is very easy for an English speaker to learn, so you make rapid progress. You'll be conversationally fluent in Norwegian in three months, I promise!
on 14 July 2004
The Margaretha Danbolt Simons courses are excellent, but this one has gone down. Much of the original quality has been interfered with and the course no longer flows as previously. Perhaps there was some unwelcome alien interference. If you want a good course by Margaretha, these ISBNs are what to select: 0340867116 or 0071414401. That is what I recommend to my students.
on 29 December 2010
Bought this book to help to write to my cousin in Norway,with help from my cousin book is proving to be just perfect.
on 5 April 2013
I bought this book as it was the same edition as my friend so we could work together. It's very easy to follow, with exercises to help consolidate learning. Would like more written exercise & CD version would in hind wind probably have helped more!
on 6 April 2004
If you're serious about learning Norwegian, this is the book to buy.
I've been teaching my daughter Norwegian and although she knew the basics, this book has been a tremendous help. It starts off in a very simple manner that's suitable for most people from early teens upwards, following the interactions of a few young people who meet in London and travel to Norway together.
Grammar and syntax are explained in a manner that makes them much easier to grasp that what was the case with several other "teach yourself Norwegian" books that I looked at, grammar probably being the most difficult part of the language for most us to grasp.
As the story moves along things start to fall into place and before you know it you've developed an understanding of the language.
Unfortunately, as with any book, it's difficult to teach pronunciation. However, there is a cassette available to use alongside the book that I'd highly recommend buying as a complimentary tool.
Buy it and you'll soon be surprising your friends with your command of the Norwegian language!
on 14 October 2014
Good to have beside you in Norge
on 11 October 2004
Linguaphone shminguaphone. If you want to learn norwegian then get this book!! - (but get the one with CDs or tapes for the pronunciation). A modern effective teaching method, I have found none better.