Customer reviews

on 13 April 2014
A superb third installment for the Beast House saga - the story features several characters from the first two books, along with a new cast of fresh sceptics about to get a full on 'Beasting'!! The story meanders a little in the middle after a fairly brutal beginning, but with a sudden plot 'twist' two thirds into the story (I never saw that coming - I had to read the page twice!!), the final third races along at a wicked pace and doesn't disappoint. If you like brutal horror, then this will be right up your street. Read the other two first (The Cellar and The Beast House), and get a bit more.
on 4 March 2001
the sequel to cellar and beast house does it justice i have read almost all richard laymon books and from the moment i start i can't put them down for a minute no matter how sick and twisted they are, the man has an imagination that captivates me - it was good to conclude the follow-up to the other two books and follows well with the plot lines, as in all his books he likes to put in sexual assaults and doesn't card whether male or female. Following Sandy along her dreadful and shocking encounters are amazing anybody else would have had a breakdown or killed themselves with what she went through. Eric the beast is wonderful being naive yet vicious at the same time in need of a mate. The beast house still has the same shocks as the previous novels and makes me wish there was one out there to visit just to see the place and feel the atmosphere. A must read for horror fans, once you read a Laymon your hooked believe me!!!!
on 12 June 1999
This latest novel by Laymon is an absolute treat; it is a riveting rollercoaster ride of horror and high suspense. Laymon masterfully carries the reader off on a fantastic voyage from the opening page. This book is expertly put together, Laymons storytelling abilities make the novel come to life and puts the reader at the heart of the action. The book itself revolves around the evil Beast House, a place where a massacre took place many years ago. Now the house has been turned into a tourist attraction, with a subdued version of the massacre being told on the daytime audio tour, but if you want to hear the true story of what happened at Beast House you need to take the Midnight Tour. This is a special uncensored tour for 13 lucky tourists at the stroke of midnight on saturday evenings, only then will you hear the full story and get to see the parts of the house that are off limits to the daytime tourists. This saturday night however, is history going to repeat itself? This book is a must for any Laymon fan and anyone who reads this as their first Laymon novel will be completely hooked, you will soon learn that in his books blood does not drip as much as it flows and explodes through each unique story. Laymon has got to be one of the the best horror novelists of our time, right up there with King and Koontz and Midnight Tour has got to be his best yet, a superb novel from a master of horror.
on 17 July 2003
wow!this was my first laymon book and ive read it twice. i can honestly say that this is the most sick, enthraling, blood curdling, perverse book i have ever read and i love it! im so stupid that i didnt realise that it was a trilogy but cant wait to read "the cellar" and "the beast house". i havent got round to buying another laymon book yet but this isnt gonna be my first and last laymon book ican assure you!!!!!!!!!
READ IT OR MISS OUT ENOMOUSLY!
on 28 July 2009
I just finished this book and can honestly say it had me gripped from start to finish (read it in 4 days). There is an awesome twist at the end when you realise what happened to Sandy (I won't give it away for those looking to pick up a copy!). One thing I would say is that the actual 'Tour' comes rather late in the book and I think this could have been opened up a little more, but that is a minor point.

What gets me about Laymon's writing is his pace, the plot is driven forward quickly and there are so many characters but they are all distinct. The imagery is graphic at times but then the Beast House Chronicles gives its clue in the title!

I read this book without having read the first two and managed to get on fairly well. The characters from the previous novels do feature and I can imagine its fun to see where they ended up. So I would say the background information on characters does help but the book still works well as a stand alone novel.

4/5
on 15 January 2001
This was the first Laymon book I have read after being recommended as a brilliant writer. I have to say that this book kept me intrigued all the way through and I especially liked the way Laymon told the story from the perspective of each character in each chapter. This book is definately one to read and I will make sure I get more of his books now.
on 24 August 1999
i found this book full of the usual dark surprises you would expect from layman and although i think he has mellowed out a bit since the earley years he is still the best author around and i would certainly recommend this book to every layman fan.excellent book.
on 17 July 2007
absolutely brilliant!! we didnt realise this was a trilogy and read the second book first,,however,,a must read for any true laymon fan. i am looking forward to reading the fourth book even though it does not follow on from the trilogy that had me hooked from the first page i read,,interestingly we were not confused by having read the second book, we then read the first and then third books.... certainly not a waste of money by anyones standards and if these are your first laymon reads you will be hooked,,,guaranteed!
on 11 December 2009
I am a recent convert to Richard Laymon but having read The Cellar and Beast House which I found excellent and a gripping read from start to finish. I found the first half of Midnight Tour a bit of duplication from the first two novels and found myself skipping pages and losing interest.
on 5 November 2012
I have read loads of Richard Laymon books and I do like his writing but this book seems to drag on he describes everything over the top I think the book could have been cut by half if all the unnecessary dialogue was cut out