on 12 February 2008
"THE BEAUTY
Impoverished aristocrat Isabella Vernaducci would defy death itself to rescue her imprisoned brother. Though fear formed a fist around her heart, she'd even brave the haunted, accursed lair of the lion of the lion - the menacing palazzo of legendary, lethal Don Nicolai DeMarco....

THE BEAST
Rumor said the powerful don could command the heavens, that the beasts below did his bidding ..... and that he was doomed to destroy the woman he took as wife. It was whispered he was not wholly human - as untamed as his tawny mane and slashing amber eyes."

I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to give this book full 5 stars, but decided to do so in the end. Why not sure ? Well ....
The story is very catchy. The characters very well described and introduced to the reader. The mood throughout the book is quite dark, which I enjoyed immensely. What I did not enjoy was the overly "colorful" love-scenes. I have read Christine Feehans' Dark series and loved them. It is not at all like her to be that "aggressive" with those scenes. Generally I do not have a problem with those, however I did not find them fit for this particular story, or maybe they were just done the wrong way.
To keep this short, I do not at all feel like I have wasted my time reading this book, despite for a few unfitting pages. I loved the story, the characters and the mood of the book. The book is definitely recommended !!!
One person found this helpful
on 20 April 2017
I currently have a love-hate relationship with Ms Feehan's books. I have steadily fallen out of love with the dark series, and thought I would try one her earlier works, seeing as Dark Prince hooked me on the series.
The writing is smooth - exactly what I would expect from Ms Feehan. But the story left me hanging. Where was the intrigue? And controlling the weather? What? When?
Disappointing ending, but overall a passably good book. I would not spend more on this author, but that's me.
on 24 January 2018
Great
on 7 June 2009
If you love Christine Feehan, then this is a must for you.
The characters are larger than life.
Hero is the usual domineering male, that we have come to know and love, and the heroine is the usual feisty female.
This is set in the past.
I loved the book.
And as it stands on it's own, you don't need to worry about the follow on story.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 February 2014
I will remember this book for years - and I have read hundreds of books. Castle. foreign land, unusual tale. Love story. One you wont forget - that`s for shore. Better than Moira shine, and you can`t forget that in a hurry.
on 13 May 2017
I enjoyed this book so much as I felt as if I were truly there. I would've preferred an ending with Lucca attending a massive wedding fit and healthy but that is the romance in me.☺
on 13 February 2010
The scarletti curse is a far superior read - This book is a different type of story altogether and a very disappointing one in my opinion - I couldn't really get in to him struggling against trying to kill her all the time and changing into a lion - way too stupid for me!
on 25 March 2015
I loved this book. It was full of mystery, horror and ultimately pure love won the day. A fabulous read.
on 28 February 2012
I really enjoyed this book, I won't go into detail about it as others have done it so well I can't add anything more, only that if your a fan of CF this is a must read!!!!
on 19 May 2015
love this author fantastic reading