on 6 January 1999
In an age when women, especially women in the church, search, flounder, and grow frustrated with discovering who God created us to be, the role He is requiring of us, and how we are to relate to men, especially our spouses, this book gives direction in a manner neither oppressive nor offensive. Elisabeth Elliot, through loving letters to her daughter, allows us the opportunity to find the heart of our Creator in a way that inspires and plants desire within us. I came away from reading this book with a fresh longing to be all - nothing less and nothing more - than my God designed me to be. I encourage every Christian woman, whether 12 or 99 years of age, to read this book and allow Elisabeth Elliot's knowledge of the Word to shape who you are in Christ.
on 7 May 1999
I found this book to be extremely inspiring. Not only did I come away with a new longing to be the woman that God has created me to be, but I came away with ideas and vision as to how to carry that out. I would really reccomend this book to any and all women who desire to be fulfill the role that God has placed them in!
on 15 November 2000
This is not an easy book for a 21st century woman to read and natural instinct wanted me to yell out 'no' at times. But how wonderful to read a book that is completely honest about what a Christian woman ought to be like. It is not easy to be a godly woman but thank goodness that his book is here to point me in the right direction!
on 24 March 1999
This book was incredibly refreshing in an age where the role of women has become so twisted until it is almost unrecognizable. Elisabeth Elliot gives terrific advice for how following God's design in our lives will lead to happier lives whether single or married. If you are at all confused as to how to respond in today's world where the ultimate goal of most women seems to be to achieve manhood, then I highly recommend this book.
on 2 July 2011
In this book, Mrs. Elliot defines her concept of equality. Men and women are equal in having both been created in God's image, but men have been designed to rule, women to adapt and submit.
Personally, I believe there is a connection between Mrs. Elliot's view of women and slavery.
In chapter 32, there is a disturbing statement: "We watched how well polygamy worked in Auca tribe. Dabu was faithful to them [three wives] so far as anyone knew, and very generous in having taken them on, for all were widows with children of their own who would have had no one to hunt meat for them if Dabu had not been so bighearted". "Worked"? Sure, if you ask the Egyptians at the time of Moses, they would have told you that slavery "worked". But God had different plans. Polygamy (approved by other religions but not by Christ), can indeed work, but once again shows Mrs Elliot's low regard for the female gender.
I conclude my review saying that some chapters are simply ridiculous; in chapter 24 the author reveals that the "unruly creature called man", is "bigger and lauder and tougher and hungrier and dirtier than a woman expects". Is she talking about a man or Big Foot? She writes on page 84: "When he takes a shower his broader dimensions mean more water used and a greater surface for water to cling to and therefore she finds that the towels get much wetter and he probably doesn't hang them up folded in three as she wants him to in order to display the monogram. He may not hang up at all". Even though everybody knows, without the author's advice, that bigger people generally use more water, this statement is still silly and simply untrue.
In chapter 20 the author poses twenty silly questions designed to help women find the right man to marry. So, what makes a marriage work? Loving each other? Marry in the Lord? Not so simple. According to Mrs Elliot, your ideal man must "have approximately the same education you have", "like the kind of food you like to cook" and other irrelevant things like these.
We look in vain for these kind of statements in the pages of the Bible: they obviously originated from human traditions that unfortunately so many people still cling to.
on 2 March 2009
The book is a comprehensive analysis of the differences between a man and a woman that are responsible for the way they handle life issues.The main theme is for women to be contented with the way God has created them, fulfil their God given roles, maximise their feminity and stop competing with men in being men.
on 19 July 2016
This book has been a blessing! And it will also be a blessing for any woman (especially Christian woman) wanting to claim her femininity, whether married or single, young or old. This book is a collection of letters from Elisabeth Elliot to her daughter who was about to be married, advising her on what it means to be a woman. It's short but potent!! It argues that women are different from men and that we have freedom and we are our true selves when we accept our God-given gender role as fundamental to our identity. There's a recurring theme of DISCIPLINE as FREEDOM! One of my favorite lines is (paraphrased) is 'the best wife is maternal and sensual!' isn't that so true lol?
on 12 September 2009
So many young woman today want an older female figure to look up to for guidance through life's trials and tribulations, yet so many woman do not have this blessing for one reason or another. If this is true of your situation, then this book is for you if you are wondering what it means to live by God's standards asa woman. I find this book particularly interesting as it goes back to the source of all things to see what we as women should be like. Indeed Elliot does indeed say that " in order to learn what it means to be a woman, we must start with the One who made her."
Elisabeth Elliot is a well known and respected chirstian author in the world of liturature and this book she has written ahs been no disappointment. In this bookn she decribes our role as woman as christians by focusing on what the "One who made her" has to say what our duties and roles as woman are.
Although this book is written specifically for her daughter as a marriage present, we, as woman of the twenty-first century can also benefit from Elliot's words of experience and wisdom which is heavily supported by words of scripture from the Bible. i reccommend this book to any young woman seeking to find God's will for themsleves in relationships, family, the home, church and work. It has deeply inspired me and reminded me of the grace of our mericful Lord.
on 24 May 2016
I really love this book - so much I have a stack of them at home to give to brides-to-be! It's packed with bible-based principles and life experience wisdom that will aid you in this wonderful new season (marriage!). Could not recommend more!
on 23 June 2015
This book has been a true Blessing to me. In this day and age, being a Christian Woman has its challenges. The author uses original Christian principles to remind us of our roles and gifts as Women. I've had so much peace reading this book.