Customer reviews

on 28 March 1999
GOING FASTER is simply the best, most readable, and most up-to-date racing textbook around! Although no amount of classroom instruction, principles or theory will ever replace seat time and on-track experience when it comes to developing racing skills, a book like this is a great way to enhance and help assess what you're doing (or not doing) out on the track. Plus its balance between a scientific approach and conversational language and anecdotes from well established drivers make it the most readable "how to" racing book I've ever read. Good for the beginner and seasoned "expert" alike. Congratulations to Carl Lopez on a fine job!
on 4 August 1998
I am an amateur racer competing in SCCA regional racing.
I found GOING FASTER to be a very useful textbook. The organization is excellent, allowing me to skip some basic information and go directly to the areas which concerned me the most. The clear an detailed description of exactly how a racing car is driven through corners helped me analize my own driving and improve my performance.
The description of each aspect of racing starts with a technical foundation and then builds to a description of how to do it in the car. I am an engineer by traning, so this combination of a theroetical treatment with practiacl advice is excellent for me.
I found the descrption of how things are in racing to be right on, and I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to try racing, as well as to the racer who wants to improve his or her perforamnce.
on 4 June 1998
If you are looking for a book that gets right down to the nitty gritty, this is it. Very well written, has tons of diagrams and photos. I soaked up the information in every chapter like a sponge and never felt like a topic wasn't covered thoroughly enough. And the author is right in that he doesn't just present his opinion alone. He is great at offering different pros take on various issues which I thought was great. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone serious about learning more about racing, whether it be karts, autocross, stock cars, open-wheeled Formula Dodge, Indy Lights, or Indy Cars....this book covers the techniques of line, braking,car control techniques, shifting and passing, as well as much much more that you will soak up!
This book will be the new bible for racers. Period.
on 8 December 2007
I bought this book on a whim,as I thought that with 10 years racing experience there wouldn't be much it could tell me. How wrong I was, indeed I would go as far as to say that I would not really recommend this book to a novice as you need to have felt, experienced, and done some of the scenarios described as that helps bring the text alive and make it personally relevant, which in turn helps you learn and remember it. It is almost as good as getting a driver coach to help you improve your driving, as you can re read each chapter until you understand it fully, in your own time, with out the pressure of a time limited test day to get your head around basic problems. There are good sections on understanding telemetry, looking at how lap time is won or lost, the physics behind racing cars and hints and tips from professional racers.

In summary, anyone who wants a better understanding of race driving technique or to understand how their own errors occur and how to approach developing a better technique should buy this book. It is that good!
on 30 January 1998
As a long time SCCA/PCA/Skip Barber racer(25 years at Lime Rock) and Chief Driving Instructor for the local chapter of the BMW Car club, I can highly recommend this book. I will use it often to review concepts and keep me "on course" . This will be the new classic in the industry for high speed driving/racing. Amazing detail and diagrams not found in any other book on the subject.
on 22 November 1998
I bought this book after going to a racing school and it helped me to build on what I learned. Great book, real detailed, and real imformative
on 8 August 2014
Great book.
All of you that think you need to have the natural talent of a Senna to be a great driver should read this book. It will change you opinion.
on 20 April 2012
I've almost finished reading this book and I'm sure I'll continue to reference it over and over.. It goes into very specific details on every aspect of car racing and I believe has already helped me im my approach to racing and how i think about driving cars on the limit.. I highly recommend this book to anyone at any level of racing, especially people who like details!
on 2 June 2009
Having raced for a while I still found the book full of useful information that allowed me to focus on a few areas and crtically analyse what I was already doing. Very good book for both novice and experienced.
on 20 September 2004
I have found no better book on circuit driving and the depth of information presented here is astonishing. Think of this book as a course-work and reference library, please do not buy this book you may be racing against me !!!