on 1 February 1999
This book is a highly readable, simple yet deep introduction to Buddhist life, practices and attitudes. It is anecdotal in style rather than systematic or comprehensive. It describes life in a remote forest monastery in Northern Thailand but always stays relevant to the everday life of a city dwelling westerner. Achaan Chah was one of the masters under whom Jack Kornfield practiced meditation. This book would make an ideal gift for someone interested to know about Buddhism but is also of value to someone already quite familiar with Buddhism. Its emphasis is constantly on the value of practice rather than too much intellectualising. I recommend it highly.
on 17 March 1999
I borrowed this book from a Buddhist center and began reading. I soon realized I must own this book and bought it! (okay, so I'm not fully enlightened yet!) Achaan Chah's shares the Dharma in a way that just feels right. The chapters are very short, sometimes just one page. This allows you to read a chapter and then meditate on it. I've read many, many, many Buddhist books and find this one to be my very favorite. Please email me if you have any further questions. May you be happy, may you be peaceful, may you be free.
on 29 July 2014
I have owned 2 or 3 copies of this book ( serially not all at once) in Paperback. Unfortunately I lent them out never to see them again. I am delighted that I now have this on my Kindle. It's a book you can dip into at any point and I find just reading it has a soothing, calming effect.
on 12 September 2014
I have always wanted to read this book. Achaan Chah is known worldwide as a great Buddhist meditation master. This book is an essential for all those interested in the lifestyle of Buddhist monks of the Theravada tradition. I would love to read this book again. After reading the book I felt more encouraged to apply its priciples into my practice. Buddhism needs more Achaan Chahs.
on 30 March 1999
Among the thousands of books on Buddhism, what a joy to come across one by a real teacher! Thank you, Ajahn Chah, and thank you translators for this gem.
on 13 February 2014
A delightful book with short, inspiring entries. Worth carrying in your backpack or suitcase! Every meditator should have one. Also a great gift.
on 12 June 2015
Insightful, however, I needed quite some time to finish because I think it is quite detailed. Thank you
on 9 October 2016
Really enjoyed the book, more of the same on suffering, but did spark something in me
on 31 July 2015
A lovely account of the life of the monks in the forests of Korea. Inspirational.
on 26 January 2016
Simple yet profound teachings from ajahn chah