on 4 April 2009
This volume has been highly rated (by Best Commentaries, and others), often alongside John Stott's, The Message of Acts by BST, as the best short commentary available. I have been disappointed.
I would have liked to have had the Bible text to follow, although this absence is common in many commentaries.
In the preface the author states his intention to address some of the "higher criticism" of much modern scholarship. In practise I have found this to be annoying and detracted from what I had hoped would be a faith building work, leading me to greater insight into God's ways and ultimately to worship. It neither inspires me nor greatly informs me. Perhaps I expected too much?
I find this commentary strangely "flat", too basic, and with not enough background material or insights to satisfy me.
Some of the comments also make me wince, as on pg90, concerning the believers having all things in common, "It may well be that in the first flush of religious enthusiasm, the early church lived in this kind of way...", and concerning Peter's speech following the healing of the man lame from birth, "If what follows represents what Luke thought that (Peter) probably would say, rather than being a summary of his remarks, it certainly catches the spirit of the occasion". This style does nothing to build my faith, and I would at least have expected the insight that Jesus, in His Temple ministry, must have passed this man every day. It isn't mentioned.
On the positive side, this book is easy to read, the material is accessible and I don't have the same theological problems with it that I have with John Stott's treatment of The Holy Spirit in, "The Message of Acts".
If you want the polemic interaction, Ben Witherington III's, 875 pg, "The Acts of the Apostles (A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary)" is very highly rated. For a faith building commentary with the insights and inspiration, I'd also look elsewhere .
on 18 October 2013
I received an old copy of this along with a box set of commentaries, and used this as a guide to read alongside the book of Acts.

I found this a wonderful treasure trove of insights - linking the locations into secular history, and providing a looking-glass into the textual evidence that builds for eyewitness authorship, where Luke is present.

In summary, a great way of adding depth to the locations, information, and exciting message which Acts provides.
on 13 March 2015
Excellent book, excellent service.
on 1 June 2013
Was in very dirty condition. I was extremely disappointed with dirty condition of cover and pages. It should have been stated in first place that it was in poor condition.
on 27 April 2015