Customer reviews

on 13 March 2014
This was one of my core texts when I was studying the book of Job as part of a module on 'Wisdom literature' at college. From the point of view of studying the book it is very good commentary as it goes into the background of the book and how it may have come together (was there one writer or many) as well as understanding the structure of the book and some of the issues it raises which for some theologians are quite a number. The text is also well covered with a verse by verse commentary and translation issues also dealt with when need be. I often tend to have a bit of a problem where Tyndale commentaries are concerned as I often find the narrative a bit stodgy, but I don't remember having much of a problem with this and certainly found it very readable. The one thing I would perhaps have an issue with Andersen is what is the central theme of the book. I personally don't believe it's a book that sets out to explain suffering or answer the question 'why?' I personally believe the key issue is whether God is worthy of worship something that is touched on in the Yahweh speeches towards the end of the book. The ultimate question is asked by God of Job: 'Would you discredit my justice? Would you condemn me to justify yourself?' Despite mankind's suppose sophistication he is still struggling with the same issues (note the new militant atheists). These are the issues I believe the book of Job tackles head-on!
on 13 April 2013
Like the rest of the Tyndale Commentaries, this has a lengthy Introduction on structure, background etc., but then treats the book verse-by-verse. This makes it easy to use for reference, when looking for detailed comment on a particular phrase or word.