Customer reviews

A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 May 2014
I am beginning to lose count of how many times I have read this book over the last 10 years or so, but reckon this is probably my fourth time through. I have read it. I have read it to preach it. I have read it with a book group for an evening's discussion. And I am currently reading it with my church leadership team, a couple of chapters a month, for discussion and reflection together. Peterson is a thoughtful and thought-provoking author. This book is a study of the Songs of Ascents (Psalms 120 to 134) and also a sustained reflection on themes of discipleship, all set in the context of our contemporary fascination with the temporary and instant. This is not always a straight-forward read, with rich language and challenging ideas sometimes making you read and re-read a passage. But it is full of wisdom and insight, and having now been in print for well over 30 years it is standing the test of time. Take your time with this book and you will be rewarded.
7 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2014
In the Western Church - Discipleship is the weakest link left over from the rationalist era. It's no longer about convenience Church fitted into convenient slots of Sunday & maybe twice a day quiet times. It's about living the life & walking the walk - just like Jesus & the Apostles did. Eugene Peterson is hitting the nail on the head !
4 people found this helpful
on 2 May 2014
I recently heard a respected Minister friend recommend this book at a memorial service and I then downloaded it to my Kindle. I have been very much enjoying it since as a very helpful commentary on the 15 psalms of ascent.
It is heart to heart stuff and very practical and I am happily recommending it to my friends.I find myself reading, re-reading and praying over what I read. Most helpful.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 December 2015
I found this book to be an inspiration - recommend highly.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 August 2015
Brilliant. It's all about the psalms of Ascent. A good read. Delivery fine.
on 15 August 2015
A useful devotional book by this very readable author
on 7 November 2016
Brilliant book, full of up to date insights
on 18 January 2018
I'm so glad I bought this book.
on 15 September 2014
I recommend it
on 15 March 2014
Highly recommend this book. It is a great read and a tool to help you on your journey of discipleship.