on 4 April 2014
I have been wanting to read this seminal work of 20th centrury thought for a long time, and have finally got around to it. It is certainly a challenge--and intriguing too. The thesis is straightforward enough: we have two modes of interacting with the world.One, which he calls "I--It", "experiences and uses". The other, which he calls "I--Thou", is a higher function. In this mode, we enter into a living relation. Furthermore, in every "I--Thou" encounter, one can sense the presence of something divine standing behind it. In other words, God reveals Himself to us through our relationships. As Buber expands on his thesis, it gets deep and dark. I found parts of the early section a bit opaque. But I soldiered bravely on. I am glad I did. I came across passages that were wonderfully illuminating. There were some brilliant single lines, too. This is a book to go back to, after a suitable interval.

Quote:
"For actually there is a cosmos for man only when the universe becomes his home, with its holy hearth whereon he offers sacrifice; there is Eros for man only when beings become for him pictures of the eternal, and community is revealed along with them; and there is logos for man only when he addresses the mystery with work and service for the spirit."
Martin Buber has managed to introduce the essence of Mysticism, a world of illusory delights, open for your translation.
I see I and Thou as a "Philosophical Religious Poem"
It has a direct appeal to those interested in living religious experience rather than in theological debates and the rise and fall of phiolosophical schools.
It shows how the content and relation between the two worlds of I and Thou.

I can't say it is my favourite book, but I enjoyed it and found it incredibly interesting.

STEVE HAINES COUNSELLOR MINDFULNESS COACH AND EFT PRACTITIONER
on 19 May 2017
I can't comment on the translation. In a radical departure from the obscurantism of other existential philosophers, Buber states his ideas simply and clearly. For people embarking on a career in care-work, clinical psychology or therapy, I would recommend this text to inform some of the basic reasons why empathy is such an important characteristic to develop and grow.
on 6 January 2018
Absolute mind boggling truth. Not easy to follow but very easy to keep reading. A book I will read again.
on 30 September 2016
The friend that I bought it for is deighted
on 27 August 2017
Deep and worthwhie
on 26 May 2016
Marvellous book. Read it!
on 19 May 2016
Good book. Thank you
on 5 October 2013
The truth's in my title; my mind just wasn't bright enough for the book.It is a good enough book but perhaps directed towards a philosophy or theology student, rather than a layman
on 28 July 2016
Interesting read, very memorable. Some of Buber's ideas can be difficult to twist you mind around, so reading this accompanied by a decent pint is recommended.