on 19 May 2017
Some good ideas for how to work with challenging behaviour.
on 13 August 2003
Trust me.This will help. An easy read with little jargon and simply heads straight into all the practical advive you would beg for.
Cowley gives excelent advice on every aspect of class management. From that kids who walks in late with no intention of settling down to coping with 'that' class on a friday afternoon.Cowley uses all the theory you know to give actural real life examples on how to deal with the tougher aspects of being in a class as well as how to keep the momentum going once things are going well.
I've lent this to 4 other NQT's in the last year and everybody is agreed that this is as helpful as you could wish for and worth re-reading once you've forgotton one or two things too..
on 15 July 2004
I bought this book prior to my first teaching practice and constantly refer to it for ideas. It is written in plain english (as you can see from the title!) and has a slant towards secondary as well as primary education.
It's a book to continually dip into to remind you of alternative ways of dealing with issues and classroom situations.
on 19 March 2017
A very good book.
on 26 January 2003
I was given this book last Christmas day and I had read the whole of it by the end of boxing day-not because I had nothing to do, but because I couldn't put the book down! As a primary school teacher I found this book very funny and relevant to my everyday work, even though it has a slightly secondary school slant, I found the information in it very useful. It is reassuring that other teachers experience what I do, as I'm an NQT, but I think it would also be a good 'novelty' present for the more experienced of teacher who I think would have a better laugh reading it as it would give them de-ja-vu!
It offers many practical ways of dealing with difficult behaviour from many angles-from the first meeting, to dealing with individuals and how the children will perceive the teacher. A second book out by Sue Cowley, with the second version of this book is out soon and I'll buy it straight away!
on 29 July 2016
Sue Cowley is the super confident behaviour guru who I was lucky enough to meet at the Education Show and was able to take part in one of her training sessions. Like her first 'Getting the buggers to behave', this book is just a joy to read, even hilarious! There are plenty of tips and tricks to take control in the classroom. Her books certainly helped me to take control as a new teacher!

I would wholeheartedly recommend her series, even if only for a bit of fun bed-time reading!

Fabulous!
on 21 November 2012
I bought this because I borrowed a work colleagues to assist with an assignment and thought it was a very straight forward way of looking at controlling behaviour in the class room. Sue Cowley really explains different ways to get good behaviour in the classroom. Anyone in teaching or within a school should have a read its very helpful and an easy read
on 7 May 2014
Sue Crowley's Getting the Buggers to Behave was the best book that I read all year. During my student teacher placement I found this book to be the most supportive read as it gave unequaled information about how to deal with difficult situations.

Student Teachers are not told or taught how to deal with classroom/student misbehavior. This book gives a perfect insight into what goes on in a school environment and it informs the student teacher how to approach these situations.

Be warned. The student will not change therefore you as an educated young adult must. :)
on 10 August 2003
This book has a lot of great reviews and it is, indeed, a decent book for teachers. I'm a PGCE student and so I perhaps don't have as much right to judge it. However, my main criticism is with the writing style and lay-out.
The book is very repetitive: the same points are brought up over and over again throughout and not really in any more depth than the first time they were mentioned. In one instance, the exact same sentence was used twice on the same page, but with one noun changed.
The majority of the advice given is common sense and the topics which had the potential to be very interesting and useful (in my opinion, those connected to the use of body language, psychology and classroon lay-out), are only dealt with very superficially. I understand that this book is only meant as a practical guide, but, considering it is aimed at professionals, it seems to have been dumbed down. Either that or Sue Cowley was stuck for extra material for the second edition (I haven't read the first), hence the constant repetition of basic concepts without any expansion.
The examples given of a classroom situation and how it could be managed in a good or a bad way, are, although pretty simplistic, somewhat useful... or at least entertaining.
All in all, the book contains a few good tips, but in my humble opinion, these could have been written on a single hand-out sheet.
on 18 February 2016
This is one of those books that you don't need if you know what you are doing and if you don't know what you are doing, probably need more help than this will provide.