on 24 April 2010
I have taught myself to play several instruments over the years, and this book/CD/DVD set is probably the worst teaching aid I've ever come across. I have been playing fiddle/violin for around 2 years, but felt that I had gaps in technique due to being self taught and bought this set hoping it would flesh out some of the more basic beginner's rudimentary instructions. I was very, very disappointed.
The book is divided into two sections; The Method & The Repertoire. The Method is the teaching part and The Repertoire being the bank of tunes you should be able to play after learning the instrument. Sadly neither gives any useful instruction or guidance. The student is left foundering from the very beginning.
The DVD features a remarkably uninspiring performer/teacher who again gives no instruction, but just plays the tunes that are in The Method part of the book.
The CDs play the tunes from the book. The 1st one has the tunes form The Method... again no guidance. The 2nd has a performance of The Repertoire tunes, and the 3rd has the accompaniment only for the Repertoire. These last two CDs are probably the most useful part of the set, but only to someone who has previously learned to play the instrument elsewhere. Nice tunes and written notation in the book.
on 9 June 2008
This is very superficial and you hardly learn anything from it. The dvd just showed you someone playing notes, not but did not explain what she was doing. The booklet was just that: a pamphlet that again did not explain how to achieve what it described.
on 28 April 2010
I am an enthusiastic beginner of the violin and was very excited when I saw this Title. It arrived, excited I took out my violin, inserted the DVD, waiting to LEARN something. The on-screen teacher clearly wasn't interested in inspiring anything in me, and had her mind on other things, like her shopping list, or was maybe annoyed her boyfriend hadn't sent her a text as promised. She can obviously play very well, if only her teaching skills were on the same par. Obviouly a woman who wasn't enjoying her work. And so I got zero enjoyment from the DVD itself. I'm sure CD3, Accompaniment, will come in handy some day when I do learn to play. I am currently taking violin lessons (week 2) and learned that the bow holding technique in this DVD is wrong, and one really can't just close ones eyes and learn a scale without knowing positions. There is nothing in this package that will teach a beginner anything. If only I'd have waited until my violin lessons began before my purchase. Money well wasted. That's what I've learned.
33 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2012
It's was bought as a present for me alongside my first ever violin. I first read the book alone without the disc, and was confused to see that it jumped from theory to pieces with no mention of fingering or positions of the notes. Having played other instruments, I was quite taken aback. But I figured hey, I guess that's what's on the DVD! Using google and YouTube I managed to successfully restring and tune my violin, and then popped this in to the DVD player ready to learn...well where to start?
The woman giving the lessons has either recently had Botox or just has absolutely no interest in anything that she is saying, but I was willing to overlook this in the hope that she might have something useful to say. No such luck.
She pretty much reads the book to you, plays the pieces, and expects you to jump in and play along.
The lesson I took from this set was that playing the violin is 90% guess work. Which, having read the other reviews on this page, is a misdirection to say the least. How on earth ANYONE could learn from this DVD, let alone a beginner, is truly beyond me.
At one point she even suggests you can learn a scale just by closing your eyes and "finding the notes"
If this were true, then I wouldn't have been able to go online and buy a fingering chart after turning it off in frustration and disgust would i? I think I'll be investing in an ACTUAL teacher.
on 2 March 2013
I already play a bit of violin & can read music well, so when I came across this item in a music shop at a reduced price (almost remaindered) I bought it, guessing that it would probably be as bad as the other reviews say, but just finding it useful to have a few backings on CD to play along with and it is OK for that but if you're a beginner, don't even think about it - it really is as awful as people say.
on 1 May 2014
This is ok but it seems to jump from one thing to another, I have to got to other books and DVD's to fill in the gaps
on 23 February 2013
Very good beginners pack to start you playing a beautiful instrument. The DVD is good together with the backing tracks as you play! The booklet included in the pack is easy to read and understand as you learn. Good quality product at an affordable price. Can recommend this to anyone of any age.
on 14 February 2015
good price excellent delivery time works great
on 5 September 2013
very beginner friendly. its nice you get a whole ready to go package. tuning no problem and its nice the bridge was flat so the strings weren't stretched at all. can teach myself on this one.
on 21 April 2015