on 29 March 2014
RTK3 continues where part 1 (no, not part 2!) left off. Where RTK1 concentrated on the "official" list of necessary Kanji that the Japanese Ministry of Education publishes, RTK3 is a selection of Kanji made by the author based on their frequency of use. So if you liked Heisig's approach in RTK1, then you will also like it here. It has even been made more systemic.

(For the record: I was not all that impressed with RTK1, because of the often extremely laboured mnemonics Heisig suggest and his often limited-usage choice of key words for primitives. So I mostly used RTK1 as a pre-printed notebook that had enough room to add all my alternative ideas, which worked quite nicely for me. And when I saw RTK3 with a discount somewhere, I bought it with the same approach in mind. Plus that Heisig is an actual Professor of Japanese, so his choice of another 800 useful Kanji should be enticing for any learner of this enchanting language.)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 January 2013
I really liked the first book in the series, that got me way into the world of Kanji, but this... don't buy it, it's not bad, you just won't need it. When you have learned the first 2200 Kanji you really want to focus on the readings instead, and not these stories. But the first book I highly recommend!!
on 30 September 2015