Customer reviews

on 17 May 2016
An essential read.
Not only details the spiritual stages of mourning, but has practical advice for how to cope.
Should be given to every mourner.
on 19 April 2016
Best book I was lent at a difficult time, have now bought my own copy and lend to others. Last few pages are particularly helpful to summarise obligations.
on 25 October 2013
A simply laid put definitive guide to the laws surrounding mourning after a death in a traditional Jewish family. It has become an essential reference.
on 15 November 2014
very informative in times of need.
on 11 July 2015
I found the book helpful and informative.
on 26 June 1998
I checked this book out from the library to use it as a resource for a religion class. I couldn't stop reading it. Having just lost my grandmother and participated at her funeral sevice, I was very interested in learning about Jewish funeral customs. This book was just the ticket. It is very well written, easy to read (it is broken down into many subsections) and understand (even for the non-Jew), fascinating (if you are not familiar with the Jewish customs), and the section entitled "What is Death?" is extremey profound. I loved his style and his use of words. I plan to purchase it to keep in my library. (It helped me get an A on the report and in the class!)
One person found this helpful
on 13 May 1997
This is a very detailed guide to the traditional aspects of Jewish observances of Death and Mouring. It is a must for every Jew -- Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, or un-affiliated!

My only suggestion is to my fellow readers -- buy it and read it now! Do not wait until you need it's great advice.
One person found this helpful