on 3 August 2017
A good introduction to game art with a variety of show how illustrations and colour information to get you started in creating your own game art
on 22 June 2017
I was looking for a book like this!
Learned a lot!
If you are passionate about video games and drawing, then this is the right book for you.
on 19 December 2012
This book starts by explaining the basics of art. Shapes, perspective, light, ,etc. Then gradually builds up to most complex subjects. All the while Chris explains and teaches in an eady, readable manner.

You will draw along with him, and then by the end of a chapter you are given a drawing task which calls upon your newly learned skills.

This book isn't just for those who want to make art for video games, its also for those who just want to be good at art.

Superb book. Gloriously printed, high quality and full colour. A must for the artist.
on 3 December 2013
I am an art teacher and I bought this book for my nephew, but I think I will need to pick up a second copy for the classroom. It covers all the basic drawing skills required for a pre-university Art and/or Design course touching on tone, colour foreshortening, scale and perspective....except it does so in a manner that is cool for teenagers, a label my age and apearance prohibits me from earning. Great as a teaching aid and for any avid young artists. My nephew loves it!
on 28 November 2014
This book is a treasure trove of useful tips. We're shown how the theory behind classical art is translated to moving, interactive environments in a way that is both very easy to understand and useful, and the author doesn't waste a page. I've learned more from this book about art than I did throughout my entire GCSE/A Level education (that might just say more about our education system though). It goes through the fundamentals, teaches you how to communicate with your audience and effect their emotions through the composition of their environment or even in the way the character moves around.

It also includes tutorials/exercises on drawing each part of the human body, using value, etc. Even if you're not interested in the games aspect, you can learn a lot from it. I'm buying it for someone who's starting to take up painting as a hobby (and has never touched a video game) because it covers so much.

You'll become both a better artist and a better game designer with this book. Highly recommended!
on 16 June 2016
Won't make you a game designer, but it does provide cues into the way emotions and characters can be displayed through the art itself. So I actually recommend this even if you aren't planning on making games - this is such a great book for novelists, artists, designers of any sort. You get a lot of good content for your buck, it is detailed and presented with intelligence.
on 6 March 2014
This book is an interesting amalgam of past and future as it shows the basics of drawing alongside how these relate to drawing for videogames. It gives practical lessons to follow and the way it uses techniques from a traditional drawing perspective forces the reader/learner to follow each step. As a videogame concept art tutor this is a book which will be invaluable for learners to continue working on their art practice while not in lesson. Recommended for those studying a concept art course or even those who want a new slant on drawing traditionally. If your son or daughter finds the idea of a drawing book boring but cant stop looking at videogames, this would be a good book to capture their interest. It also sneaks a number of artworks in there so they may end up more knowledgeable than you! This is a book about drawing concept art not about others work and so don't expect to simply look at pictures of games. It is a book to use- so remember: paper and pencil are a necessity not an option!
on 10 February 2013
My son thought this book was a great gift because it introduced him to art (which he loves) by capturing his attention by the scenes inside related to video games that he was familiar with.
on 27 February 2014
The book is put into 'levels' so you can work your way through it. I love the many references to my favorite games and how to draw depending on what you want to convey.

For e.g he explains how they move the horizon up or down depending on how you want the viewer to feel, like in Assassins creed they move the horizon high up when you are on ground level to make you feel very vulnerable.

I love this book especially teh section on showing you how to start concept drawing.
on 27 January 2017
Really good book, I used it for quotes in my Animation essay for Unniversity. It contains a lot of useful information for character design relating to form and shape, alongside many other useful areas in game development and artwork. The book contains theories and images from mainly games and artists, from varying points in history, that back them up and make them easier to understand. After writing my essay I went back and used the book to aid me with my own character design. Thanks.