Customer reviews

on 15 May 2015
The best book on pastels I have every come across
on 13 November 2017
Well worth the money
on 6 November 2006
This book provides a comprehensive guide to using all types of pastels, including the more traditional chalk and oil pastels, pastel pencils, conte pastels and so on, aswell as some of the newer materials available such as oil sticks. A wide range of techniques are covered in detail and there is plenty of information about the different types of media and supports e.g. papers, boards and other more modern materials. A thoroughly enjoyable and useful book that I return to again and again for help and advice.
on 7 April 2010
This is, in my opinion the best book for pastel painters.
I have used this book for many years and when I need inspiration, this is the pastel book I look at, and even after all these years I still find things in this book that make me want to get the pastels out.
I also used this book in creating projects for my pastel classes. This book is not for people who are only interested in one layer quick pastel sketches , but for those who want to experiment with and who love the versatility of pastels.
Schminke and Senellier pastels are the best for many of the projects.
review image review image review image
on 29 May 2015
I am in two minds about this book. On the one hand, as a beginner, I found the opening section discussing materials and tools very informative, and much of the theory is fine. What I struggle with is the application of the theory. The author has a highly individual and probably unusual painting style which I (and I strongly suspect many others) just do not find in any way appealing. I can honestly say that there is barely a picture in this book (and there are many of them) that I like. And as all the demonstrations are accomplished in this particular style I did not find them very useful on the whole. I think it is a big mistake to have used only the author's work. It would have been far more likely to have had a wider appeal if different artists work had been used. So, while there was much useful material, overall I was disappointed with this book.
on 3 March 2016
Very interesting book for all skill levels
on 2 February 2017
Husband loves this.
on 21 January 2017
Useful
on 5 May 2007
Of all the books on pastel I have come across over 40 odd years of art, this is my favourite. It's breadth and sensible approach make a really useful reference to which I return time and time again. A review of the different types of pastel on the market giving an appreciation of their qualities and application is a particularly good feature.
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2003
For any would-be pastelist this book is a must. There is a bewilderment of materials available to the artist and Bill Creevy provides a clear, readable guide through them, from the pastels themselves in all their grades of hardness, softness or irridescence, to oil pastels and oil sticks. Equally useful is the section on Papers and Supports - the variety of papers of differing "tooth" is huge, but if you are not content with what you can buy, Bill Creevy gives tips on making your own canvas panels. Of particular fascination to me is the section on pastels and mixed media, since I had already begun to experiment in this direction but had little idea that so much could be done - using modeling paste with pastels, for example. I looked at a lot of books on pastelling before chosing this one and I'm glad I did.
0Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse