on 7 May 2012
Kathleen Lochen Staiger is a great teacher. She gives you all the information and practical advice you need, and the book is clearly written and beautifully illustrated. (It helped to read through the lesson before starting.) There are lots of preparatory lessons and colour mixing exercises, so I was quite excited when it was time to paint a still life. I never thought I'd be excited about painting a still life! At first I felt resentful of 'copying' a landscape and it felt silly 'copying' a portrait, but I thought, 'I'm a student, so just go with it'. I'm so glad I did because it was good! Kathleen teaches you so much, step by step, I feel now I could do my own paintings and feel confident about it. Thank you Kathleen!
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2015
Really lovely book. It does explain painting techniques for beginners micely. I have managed to paint a picture, others could not believe I produced.
on 12 August 2013
What is making more sense, to look around in the dark, or to switch the light on first? I had disinterested art teacher and for a longest time have tried to figure it all by instinct and trial ans error. I am catching up now, real fast. Back to basics. We all ned it once in a while.
on 18 May 2016
I don't find this book as helpful as the description is saying. I was honestly expecting something else. I am new in the art of painting, but I can say there are so much more artistic techniques out there that are not covered by this book. I really think I wasted my money on this book unfortunately.
on 21 September 2012
First of all a little about me. I am planning on following illustration and till now I've only used watercolor (apart from pencil, charcoal and black ink). So I really needed some help with the Oils since I couldn't really do it myself as I found it hard getting used to.
Now what does this book offer. First of all it teaches you the basics of drawing. Of course a lot of stuff are known to me, but I wouldn't qualify it as useless information it still good to see how pencil is converted to oil. Anyways this book gives a lot of explanation it can be done by anyone and I mean anyone. From perspective to shading you name it. I've seen many other books containing the same information. I haven't tried the book yet but I will say a few words about what I read (apart from the basics). The information shown is very simple which is great. I would say though there is a lack of images. More text is said about measurement and other things. Though oil painting is really hard thing so I guess it's the right way to go at it. No more simple Watercolor Step by step I guess. The quality of the pictures are great though. Yet as I read more and more I understood everything in there. So I think that the most important thing is understanding. Because people need only to get to a point where they could do it on their own. So even if this book is simple, even if it may have information that you already I think that it will help you understand what oil color is about.
P.S. I will update this review as I continue to use this book.
on 28 December 2016
Bought for my Dad who wants to paint an oil painting for his house and has no experience or knowledge on how to. It's safe to say he's been reading and enjoying this as he begins his venture, hopefully he doesn't feel too daunted at the prospect. I briefly flicked through the book and it was very precise and easy to read with great pictures and examples.
on 15 April 2015
I've searched for a guide on how to paint for years and this is perfect. From how to put paint onto a surface, colour mixing from the beginning to composition. Everything you need to know to start painting.
on 30 September 2009
This book covers many of the things that other "beginners" books seem to think the reader is already familiar with from somewhere else. If you, like me, do not already know about color mixing for hue, value and grayness, about atmospheric perspective and how to achieve that, about where to start when painting a landscape or a portrait, this book really takes you into the field of oil painting and starts you off on the right track.
on 14 January 2011
I was very pleased with this purchase, it gives just the right amount of information.It does not go to deep.and if you forget anything,just pick it up and start again.
on 5 August 2014
I love this book for all the little gems that you get from reading from start to finish. I was tempted to skip chapters as I thought I was experienced enough for most of it and was bored by the painting subjects, but I learned some great new tips. It's like having your own tutor on hand, and your can work at your own pace. Pity it does not go into more depth on portraiture, animals and human, and contemporary techniques, perhaps there will be a follow up book for more advanced study.