on 21 October 2011
I bought this in order to work on my figurative drawing. My art teacher had suggested an anatomy book for artists and I went through your selection and decided on this one as it looked thorough and straightforward without gimmicks, and was reasonably priced.

It is a very detailed book. The drawings are exactly what was required, showing bones and muscles in good clear line drawings. The text is also well written and informative. Anatomy which used to be a required subject for artists has been gradually phased away, but for figurative work it is useful, and used to be considered vital, to understand the underlying structure of the body, whether drawing it in movement or as a portrait.

My only criticism is that the author has not considered to include diagrams of the human infant and child showing the typical proportions etc at various stages ands ages: that would have been most helpful. However, I don't think I've seen this anywhere in an artists anatomy book, only specialist books on drawing children.
on 27 April 2017
Brilliant, wish I had had it earlier.
on 16 December 2010
I get the impression that this book is a real labour of love. I have quite a few artistic anatomy books - many excellent, and classics - but this is the one I now keep close to hand.
It has a wealth of illustrations, is beautifully designed and laid out. No efforts have been spared to make everything as clear as possible. It has filled in all the 'gaps' for me regarding this subject and I really couldn't recommend it highly enough.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 14 September 2009
Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement is a anatomy reference book for artists. The bodies, muscles and skeletons are well illustrated and explained. The different layers of muscles are shown individually as well as a whole. Where the muscles are attached to the bones (even those hidden) are shown. The illustrated examples are plentiful and comprehensive.

The writeup is well researched and written clearly. It has all the technical speak, including pronunciation, but still easy to understand when read. Every anatomy part and every muscle shown is explained in terms of functionality.

There are some drawing tips but not as much compared to dedicated instructional anatomy books. For example, it doesn't teach much on drawing twisting torsos. As such, this will be a great companion to other instructional anatomy books, especially so for those that focus on poses and have less details on the underlying human form.

Overall, this is a highly recommended anatomy reference book, for beginner to advanced artists. For the price, I think it's really worth the money.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on 20 May 2012
Absolutely brilliant. I've been studying artistic anatomy for years, I own most of the other books you'll be recommended on the subject, and I can safely say that this is one of, if not the best that I have, and the one that will aid me the most. So clear, concepts that had seemed very confusing are now extremely clear to me. I'd put that down to the wonderful drawings and explanatory text. 5 stars, no question, and highly recommended.
on 15 February 2016
Finally I have found the artists' anatomy book I've been looking for - it is far more detailed than the other two I have and incredibly comprehensive - someone's really gone the extra mile and put a lot of work into this. Fantastic image quality a good few whole page and half page images, thorough explanations of how joints work etc, actual coaching on how to draw the different parts of the body (as opposed to just pretty pictures to copy), comparison of body parts to things like spanners (i.e. useful analogies to items that are easier to draw). This really is a superb book - if you are in two minds then take the plunge - you won't regret it. Gush.
on 8 February 2016
Fantastic book. I have at least 15-20 books on the subject and this is one of the best I've seen. Looking forward to getting the latest book from VW. A thorough approach which will reward those who spend time digesting the wealth of information contained in it. It's definitely a book I will be keeping close by.
on 17 May 2012
I came across this at the Tate Modern a few weeks back and it seems to be just the book I needed at the time following a patch of frustration with my anatomical studies.

This book covers some key concepts about forms which as I beginner goes a long way. There are lots of drawings and samples to help fill in the anatomical gaps.

Although as a beginner this book comes in very handy I think it is more beneficial to those with slightly better knowledge of the anatomical figure.

Regardless I have no regrets.
on 15 August 2015
I have a fairly large collection of books on anatomy for artists ( fifteen or so), and if I could only have one, this would be it. My only criticism would be it could use a good side-view illustration of the arm. If you are looking for a good book on anatomy , this is a very good choice IMVHO.
on 20 February 2014
Good from skeleton onwards. I like the movement of muscles and muscle details when in movement. Good reference material for sclptors