on 22 September 2017
I was a bit disappointed. Other reviews led me to believe this is a really great book for drawing, but I found it to be only average. I have several other drawing books that covered more and had better guidance.
on 9 April 2017
Bought this as it was on a course reading list. Book is split into different sections. The first few sections are excellent as they focus on pencil drawing. However, was disappointed to see that one third of book covers paitining.
on 26 April 2012
Fantastic book; I saw it in the Tate Gallery shop but saved £5 by purchasing it here instead. It's a real classic. I teach drawing skills to children and already used many of the methods that this book teaches, but it has helped me refine my explanations.
on 7 February 2016
Although you need time and patience this is a good starter course.
on 11 February 2016
A book that should be a must for every serious art student and art teacher.
I bought this book to try to improve my drawing, a hobby I have taken up late in life, It is very thorough and goes from drawing boxes (and other basic shapes), with emphasis on the vital need to check whether the box is above or below eye level, through perspective, light and shade, composition, still life, outdoors, figures, children and some of the media to use. I embarked on it with trepidation because of the effort required but am enjoying sketching the various shapes and doing the exercises. There is a refreshing lack of padding and the writer goes straight to the point with plenty of drawings to copy or to inspire my own and I am gaining in confidence and soon, I hope, in skill!.
on 10 May 2017
I hadn't done any sketching for years and needed to build up confidence. This book was ideal and gave me the impetus I needed to try new things. Straightforward explanations and easy to follow diagrams.
on 29 August 2013
The book is very well written and very easy to understand. It's easy to learn about drawing as different aspects (i.e. perspective, people, landscapes etc..) are split up into projects, allowing you to learn and enhance your skills within a certain area.
on 21 February 2013
this book delivers what it promises and I use it all the time . I sawe another one in the local charity shop and purchased it for my young neighbour who has displayed an aptitude for drawing and was always wanting to borrow mine . would recommend
on 4 January 2014
Only second hand information as was present for 14 year old daughter who loves drawing: she found it very useful and improved her skills a great deal