on 25 May 2017
Really fun book, teaches you how to draw cartoons people in stages costumes and props, some animals, interiors and exteriors even choosing colours. The text and illustrations are easy to follow and understand. Would highly recommend.
on 7 February 1998
I am a fifth grade teacher and I bought this book for my class. The students just love it! This book is crammed full of really high-energy cartoon images with instructions on how to draw them. Every day, students ask to borrow this book. I have other art and cartoon books in my classroom, but this one is their all-time favorite.
on 13 March 2008
I have just recieved this book and have to say its probably the most usefull book I have on the subject. I have a couple of Harts other books but found them slightly too advanced for me. This book takes you right from drawing a basic face and expressions though to body construction, animals, backgrounds, its got the lot.
For anybody looking for a starting reference in cartooning this is the book to get.
on 12 July 2011
I love this book.

Christopher Hart is a very clever chap.

Anyone who can teach me to draw has real skill. lol

At school I was so bad at Art, my teacher couldn't even look at me when he handed back my "paintings." I once had a homework assignment to paint a picture of our lanwmower. It was so bad I cringed handing it in, and he cringed handing it back. Ouch!

This book is full of humour, passion and brilliant 'how-to' instruction.

Stick men be gone. I'm drawing me a picture.

I intend to add cartoons to my marketing blog in the near future (more practice req'd first :-) and this book has given me the confidence to go ahead with that plan.

Highly recommended.

Now, if only I could fix my 'singing' voice...
on 6 December 2005
This best seller book (or so the front cover says...) is really one good book. It includes almost everything you need to know about cartooning, from the various head shapes to the body construction, including a section on how to create brand new characters. Inside you will also find an animal construction chart featuring several wild and not so wild animals, including the man.
But what makes this book great is the layout and props section. It's the only book I own and know that explains the cartoon backgrounds and how the others interpret what you've drawn. But this book goes further by explaining the various special effects used in cartooning and even has in the end a section about colors! It's a must for anyone interested in cartooning!
But of course there are no perfect books and this one has two major faults. The first one is the lack of construction steps, most of the drawings, especially in the second half of the book, are just given and don't include any construction steps. The second one is the lack of info on perspective, this is choice by the author since he states in the introduction "Wondering how to draw backgrounds without struggling with perspective? That's in here too." but still a fault in my opinion, of course opinions diverge but it's still a 5 stars book.
on 30 July 2008
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Cartooning but Were Afraid to Ask by Christopher Hart and a couple other books helped me learn how to draw cartoons good enough to put in my latest book.

Christopher Hart has done several books on drawing comics. He provides excellent common sense content, and teaches the skill very well though his words and cartoons.

Some the sections that I found especially helpful were: Expressions, How to Draw Hands, The Art of Character Design, Body Types, Principles of Layout, Layouts from a Distance, The Special Effects Lab, Explosions and more.

After finishing my sketches, I used Adobe Elements software to polish up the work. I was very pleased with the final cartoons that went into my book...and there have been many positive comments about the cartoons from people who have the book!

This is a great resource for learning to draw cartoons!

The Re-Discovery of Common Sense: A Guide To: The Lost Art of Critical Thinking
Lively, almost whirlwind, rush through cartooning.

Very accessible and well laid out with lots of images and not so much text.

Probably one of Hart's better cartooning guides.

Covers quite a lot of ground.
on 6 March 2012
I have most of the author's books and in my opinion this is definitely the best one to start with even though he has also published "Cartooning for the beginner". At least this is the one that I personally found most helpful. I used to draw cartoons every evening as a child but I gave up as I started to grow up. As an adult I decided to start again but found it difficult to break out of my original style. I often gave up only to try again a few years later. What really helped me was the way this book really showed how to break down a head or body into its component shapes.
on 7 February 2008
I bought this book as I wanted learn how to draw cartoons, to aid me in my 3D work! I cannot recommend this book highly enough for anyone wanting to learn how to draw cartoons the easy way!

Unlike a lot of Authors claiming to teach you to draw Christopher Hart's illustrations and explanations are clear and very easy to follow and will get you drawing cartoons that you can feel confident about in no time at all!
on 18 August 2009
I bought this book beacuse I wanted to learn how to draw some simple cartoons that I could use in my teaching at University. The book provided just what I needed. It's very simple and straightforward with a good range of styles on show. There is not too much in the way of construction techniques especially in the latter part of the book but it certainly is a very good place to start if you are a beginner like me. And yes, I did draw those cartoons and use them with my students.