Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 December 2002
If like me drawing hands is one of the more difficult parts of the anatomy to master mainly because studying our own hands is often from the wrong angle than the one that you require you might find this book useful. It's packed with lots of drawings of hands from different perspectives and help with the rules of foreshortening.
The drawings themselves are very bold and may seem too strong for some, but I feel that they benefit from looking this way as it enhances the details of the bone and muscle structure which would naturally be softened by your own style if that is what you prefer.
This book is an excellent reference to keep coming back to.
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 14 September 2009
Drawing Dynamic Hands is a really good book on drawing hands. It explains almost everything you need from the form, structures, proportions, anatomical landmarks, functions to foreshortening. The illustrated examples are plentiful with hands in almost every humanly possible pose. There are so many to practice from.

The only problem with this book is the ridiculously muscular fingers in all the examples. We don't see this level of muscles even in superhero comics. But you already know that when you buy a Hogarth book.

This book is perfect for anyone who wants to draw hands. A general anatomy reference book is recommended as companion for those who cannot get pass the over stylized Hogarth style.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on 25 September 2015
Hands are so hard to draw- if only we had this author's genius in illustration.
Page after page of hands, stripped back to bones, veins, tendons and muscle- then surface anatomy.
This is one the most useful books at coaxing confidence in hand-drawing.
on 29 December 1999
This book beats all competition hands down (no pun intended). It is filled with magnificent illustrations that will boost your inspiration. It contains every possible aspect of drawing hands and it helped me a lot.
on 14 December 2014
When I teach concept art to learners and begin anatomy I ask them what do they think is the most difficult part of the body. In every class I usually have at least one learner who says hands. Whatever it is about these appendages, inevitably it is an area of the body learners struggle with and one which they need extra tuition on. Therefore this book is a great tool for them. It means they can go away and look at how the hand moves, is proportioned and gestures -away from the classroom. This is an ageless book and it is clear how this book has lasted for so many decades when many books don't last a fraction of this time. This is a book to use when learning and a reference book once you have and a testament to a man who was a great teacher.
on 7 January 2014
I've been relatively okay with drawing hands, at this point in time I've learnt to draw hands all right in a realistic fashion. This book has been interesting in gaining a further insight into how hands are built and how they bend. Since getting it I've been able to draw them in a more dynamic way with much more ease. Recommend to everyone who is interested in improving on how they draw hands and even learning how to draw them properly (though I would suggest some life drawing too if you don't know how).
on 3 February 2014
A hands-on approach to drawing hands.
It has two limitations: the inclusion of photographs and a variation of drawing styles would have been helpful in showing alternative ways of visualizing hands. Also, a more in depth look at the anatomy would have been good.
Despite that: it's still a great book..
on 3 May 1999
I bought the book in order to gain a better insight on the movement of the hand. It was not untill I opened the pages that I found an entire world of intrege and emotion. I was lost in the form and I admired the shere power that lay within.
on 19 January 2010
If like me you are a half decent drawer / artist but you still have issues when drawing the hands this is a book that will help you no end. In fact I could be a great artist, and still I would buy this book! The price tag alone makes this book amazing value for money whether you draw professionally or just for fun.

Inside; you can expect to find a wide selection of examples of the hands drawn in different gestures/positions from a variety of angles. Not only do we get all this and also examples of the hands in use i.e, using tools, drawing, holding and moving various objects. Burne Hogarth also provides us with techniques to eventually know how to depict the human hands intuitively in any way we please without the need for reference of anything but our own minds. It even teaches you how to draw hands of people in different age groups!

I have had the book a few weeks now and my drawing from memory has already improved somewhat yet I feel I have barely scratched the surface of what this book has to offer. In my opinion Drawing Dynamic Hands along with Dynamic figure drawing are the two best books of their kinds on the market today. Drawing Dynamic Hands certainly has no competition.
on 29 March 2014
A great mix of the academic and the practical. For the more experienced. If you want to learn to draw one of the more demanding body part. this is the book for you.