on 3 April 2017
Only half way through the book and already better at drawing cartoons! Of course the more effort one puts the more will get out of it, it was collecting dust initially and now it isn't! Not anything groundbreaking if one has read other books but still good for practicing. If I was new to drawing then I would gladly pay full price, as I already have some experience then I am happy with a second hand price!
on 25 September 2009
I have a few How to Draw books and this is one of my favourites.I thought the Retro Style would mean less work on the drawing front. While that seems true Christopher Hart shows there so much more in creating figures in that style. Straight lines instead of curves, necks vs no necks etc... even down to hair styles. Also covers how specific poses look in retro-style.
As always there is some overlap in the books: How to Draw Anime/Manage, Cartooning for the Beginner etc but this seems to have most covered.
on 16 February 2010
Absolutely amazing book. My daughter has been obsessed with creating cartoons of friends and family and they're all fab.
Packed full of hints and tips, this book really brings out the cartoonist in anyone interested in caricatures or cartoons.
on 9 July 2012
I've always loved this quirky art style so Chris Hart's excellent retro-style character book is a fantastic introduction to nailing that style. If you love cartoons like The Powerpuff Girls or Dexter's Lab, and want to know how to draw characters like those, this book will certainly head you in the right direction.

Clear tutorials from start to finish, nicely written accompaniments and some great examples in the gallery to draw on. Very satisfied with this.
on 7 January 2014
If you're a fan of say, the Jetsons, or any retro sci-fi cartoons, then this book is for you. Chris's drawings are simply superb, and are surprisingly easy to follow - I was amazed at how quickly I could achieve satisfactory results following his techniques - and I wouldn't even class myself as a very good artist! Like all his books, this is jam packed full of useful tips and examples. Highly recommended.
on 5 August 2011
I bought one of these as it seemed an easy introduction to drawing simple charaters. I can confirm it is a great start and i'm always picking it up for inspiration. My neices kid picked it up and loved it too so i bought her one as a present and she's been copying stuff from it, i mean using it as reference!
on 9 June 2014
It's a good book. Easy to follow and some good tips but it doesn't really help you expand your imagination in terms of how to draw these characters freshly. I did expect better but there's only so much you can learn from a small book.
on 17 January 2013
I bought this to help my son with a project he was doing, it has been brilliant, it has good sketches with a step by step guide, lots of tips and covers all the parts of the body and face.
on 24 January 2012
Bought this book for nephew who is studying art. It was a lovely little Christmas gift. He has already made use of it
on 20 June 2014
My 10 and 12 year girls love these retro-style cartoons on telly, now they spend hours drawing their own, result!