on 16 April 2014
I worked through this book, and learnt a lot. I had worked through a book on drawing heads a couple of years ago. That one concentrated on shading. This book explains how the muscles change the appearance of the face. I felt I ought to have noticed much of it before but I had not. It made explicit what you instinctively knew but could not have explained.
I am glad I bought it.
on 12 September 2012
Covers all the ranges of muscle movements and provides you with all the knowledge you will ever need, as a portrait tattooist this book is my bible. He goes in very deep with latin names but its never without justification. All i need to say is short, if you draw portraits in any medium, this book although slightly dated will never age nor let you down. Unless we modify our faces beyond recognition that is. Grab yourself a mirror, start drawing eyes, then after a few sketches you will find you can draw a realistic eye from memory, apply this to the nose, mouth, ear etc and wonder how you never noticed the little details in someone's smile before.
on 28 August 2016
Having just puchased this most informitive book is the best item i have bought in a long time. i now look at faces and eyes in a totaly different way and am learning the names of the facial muscles as well ,anatomy and art all in one exellent book well worth the money.
on 30 March 2018
Arrived on time and exactly as described. Thank you.
on 22 September 2013
I like this book a lot, i am a new starter at having a go at drawing and painting. This book has given me so much info,i found it very easy to follow. The drawings by the artist Gary Faigin are concise and have much detail on where to apply shading. The facial expressions he has drawn are amazing. With this books help, i have attempted drawing a couple of faces, and i am very pleased with the result. This is a wonderful book, thank you Gary Faigin.
on 24 January 2018
I love this book its just brilliant piece of work. Showing range of emotion's in facial expressions.
on 16 April 2015
Lots of examples of various facial expressions but sadly the drawings and the print quality are not so good.
on 11 August 2016
Good usable sculpting textbook
on 12 May 1999
I've been a professional painter for years, and am now studying book illustration. Gary Faigin's book is fascinating, informative, incredibly instructive, and in short, possibly the best book I've ever bought on any topic. Is he planning on writing The Artist's Complete Guide to anything else?
on 31 August 2013
For the aspiring artist using pencils, this book is beautifully structure and challenging for the aspiring artist. buy with confidence