Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 September 2008
Gytha Raouille has always known she is to marry the heir of Saiturn Manor but the day before he wedding she is told that the current heir has died and she is now to marry Thayer Saiturn - the one they call the Red Devil.

A battle hardened knight, Thayer has been scarred by battle and had his heart broken in love. So he is less than enthused by the prospect of wedding the beautiful and lovely Gytha but as a matter of honour he will go ahead with it.

As the pair come to terms with each other, and married life, they must contend with many twists and turns but they can only have a happy ending if Gytha can look past Thayer's scars to see the lonely man inside.

This was the first book of Hannah Howell's that I have read and I found that I very much enjoyed it. Both main characters were entertaining and endearing and had an excellent chemistry together. Gytha was especially interesting as she truly was feisty as well as being kind-hearted. And I always love a big, strong man - especially one that is slightly insecure, lonely and in need of the love of a good woman!

The plot meandered along nicely and there were enough twists and turns to make you want to keep reading and to hold your interest to the end. The two negative points I would have to make were that the constant head-hopping between different characters' perspectives at the drop of a hat was slightly confusing. The other was that having two characters with such similar names (Robert and Roger) made me really have to pay attention!

Despite this, the book was fun, lively, romantic and certainly a book I would recommend if you're looking for an interesting medieval romance where love conquers all! 4 stars.
on 2 October 2015
This book!!! I got it on Saturday I had read it 5 times by Thursday. I love this book soooo much!!! It's for the over 15s but storyline is amazing. Set in the 13th century a girl and a man learn that beauty and luck aren't always at face value.
on 11 September 2010
I have never heard of the author before, but decided to give her a whirl after she was recommended on my Amazon Recommendations page. The story centres around Gytha, a beautiful 17 year old betrothed to the heir of the Saitun family. When the eldest and second eldest of the cousins are presumed dead, she now faces marrying the youngest, Robert. But when they find the second eldest, Thayer, alive and well, she finds herself having to marry him instead. He is not considered handsome, due to his large strong physique, red hair and the scars on his face and mouth after fighting in many battles. But Gytha sees his soft brown eyes and finds herself drawn to him instantly. She does not see the scars, and is quick to retaliate when the ladies at her wedding say they feel sorry for her. Thayer is against marrying her but has to do so because of his duty. He resents the fact she is so attractive and he isn't, and believes he will have to drag men out of her bed. A lot of this is due to the fact that many years ago, he fell for Lady Elizabeth. She is described as attractive too, but her heart is cold. She basically uses him, has his son, Bek, who she neglects and leaves Thayer broken hearted. Since then, Thayer seems to only have had lovers if he paid them. I am unsure if he had the scars when he was with Elizabeth, the story does not say this. After time, Gytha and Thayer are falling for each other, but both are jealous too. Gytha is jealous of Elizabeth, as she later claims she can have Thayer back whenever she wants. She conspires with Charles, the Saitun's uncle and Robert to get rid of Gytha.

The man on the cover doesn't seem to look like Thayer from the author's description. Perhaps he is better looking than is made out. Overall, I have enjoyed this and would recommend it. I am looking forward to reading more of her books.
on 22 April 2008
This story features Gytha and Thayer also known as the "Red Devil" due in part to his flaming red hair. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend this to fans of Hannah's highland series and her other books, an excellent read! And I just want to add that when writing reviews please don't do a summery of the whole book as i read a review recently that basically told me the whole plot line including who the villains were and what happened which made me not buy the book because i felt I'd already read it!
on 17 April 2014
I rate this as one of my favourite books! I am not giving anything away, but will admit at times I was shouting at some of the characters and really wanted to throw a punch or two myself! Brilliant book IMO
on 23 March 2008
This is the first book of this author that i have read and it did not grab my attention as i had expected. It dragged on and could have ended long before it actually did. Not a keeper and i wouldn't rush out to get it. In summary - BORING!
on 19 July 2010
I was not sure what to expect from this book and was greatly surprised. I have only recently discovered Hannah Howell, thanks to the local library, and I have to admit that I have fallen in love with her writing. I would recommend her to anyone who wants to try something new. From the first page I was hooked, I am a person who reads most of the time and manage to fit real life around reading. This book took me a day to read, it was one of those stories that I could not put down. I am actually looking forward to re-reading it so that I can become re-aquainted with the characters.
on 16 February 2016
I loved this way more than I should have. It's frustrating (in that the guy is a totally low self esteemed idiot) - but it was a good mindless read.
on 14 December 2013
Great read, loved the characters and the way it was written. Howell is one to watch and knows how to tell a compelling story. Highly recommended.