on 7 January 2011
Be warned - this is a pretty small book. However it does give an interesting & complete overview of GPS. It provides enough detail to seem useful, but not so much to bore you to death.

The included matlab GPS reference is handy for experimenting too. But the book/software won't give you a complete software-defined GPS received you can take and just use in a real product, it's more for experimenting. I haven't seen the software in the book available anywhere else, although it is open source. You might also look into other GPS SDR implementations too if you just want the software aspect.

In short: I thought this book great value and was very happy with it.
on 22 July 2010
I was disappointed by this book. The first thing to note is that the price is unjustified for such a thin book. The first chapter is an overview of the mathematics of signals. Why they start the book in this was is beyond me, as it is tedious stuff which is covered much better elsewhere. The book is almost impossible to read as it packed with maths and diagrams. I'm a software engineer so I'm used to books of this type. From the description of the book I thought it would describe how to make your own software defined GPS receiver, but it doesn't do this, it has a DVD with Matlab code and a short description of the code. The Matlab code states "this is free software which you can distribute under the GNU public license", so I ask myself why are they charging so much for the book. For the Galileo signal description they rely on a reference called "Anonymous (2005)" which is bound to be obsolete.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse