on 31 October 2004
Being quite critical towards most photo-books I have come across, this one really deserves all the credit it can get! This books explains all there is to know about the photographic triangle between aperture, shutter time, and ISO. It is a practical book covering most practical shots and it goes further in the sense that it tells you how to do the meter reading with the camera -> something which most books leave conveniently out. Besides from very detailed and well-written information on how to get the right creative exposure, Bryan covers the relevant differences between analogue and digital SLR in this updated version. The book contains the most beautiful and inspiring photos and - yes yes yes - he includes the camera settings on all the photos so that the reader can learn!!! Everything is based on simple rules and metaphors which I am able to remember in the field! This has improved my photography skills -> really what everything should be after when purchasing a new photo book! While Bryan at times can get a bit "snobbish" for my taste, he is a man that has earned his reputation and is very competent in bringing his many years of experience on to the reader. The book also contains some very nice information related to filters and how you can get the exposure you want even the light conditions do not facilitate it. Really great value.
11 Comment| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2006
This book could equally well be named Understanding Exposure and Photographic Composition. Printed on high-quality paper, the images Peterson uses to illustrate his points are all great examples not just of correct exposure, but also of photographic composition.

The author's style is engaging and right from the start, I found myself reaching for my camera to try out his suggestions.

Not only is Peterson a great photographer, he is also a great teacher projecting his enthusiasm for photography onto the reader.

I found this book a more compelling read than any edge-of-our-seat thriller I ever read, only putting it down to go out and shoot some photographs.

After reading this book, I no longer let the camera make my exposure decisions - choice of Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO setting are now concious decisions with a particular effect in mind.

If you want to move from "point & shoot - unpredictable result" to "think, compose, point, shoot - expected result", this is a worthwhile investment.
on 2 May 2017
Well written in a language anyone can understand by someone who clearly knows their subject.
on 3 August 2017
good book for understanding the basics about exposure.will come in handy for reference.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 July 2006
So many people recommended this book that in the end I had to get it. And it's basically just as good as everyone says.

As you'd expect, it runs through the main things you need to know about exposure: using aperture for depth of field, fast shutter speeds for movement and all that stuff that you already know.

Except he seems to add things that you didn't know, or hadn't thought of.

Remember, this is just about exposure, so it's not telling you how to frame shots, or what to take photos of, just how to get the exposure right.

He uses a lot of easily remembered terms, like 'story telling' or 'who cares?' apertures. Some of them seem a bit silly, but there's no doubt you know what he's talking about. Later on, it gets even sillier, when he talks about 'Brother Blue Sky' and Mr Green Jeans' for exposure of skies and green areas. And you think, hang on, I'm not twelve. But I can see the point. If he was very technical about it, you'd never remember, but this way, you're out with your camera, and you think, I'll use Brother Reflecting Sky. Just don't say it out loud.

So Peterson has a knack of putting things over in an easy to comprehend way that's actually useful when you're out taking shots. I tried a few of his techniques straightaway, and they work.

The book is nicely illustrated of course, with good examples to show how the techniques work. It's well written, and genuinely useful if you pretty much understand how to use manual exposure but want to go a step further.
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2007
I bought this book from recommendations from friends and must say that it is a great find and one that I would never take from my book cabinet. Whether you're a pro or a newbie to photography it's books like this that ensure that we truly get to grips with our art...never too young or too old to learn.

I've since communicated directly with the author and suggested that the book could be enhanced by describing more on his thought process for metering composition etc., per photograph to allow anyone to get inside the mind of a jobbing and successful photographer.
on 6 June 2006
I am new to using a (digital) SLR camera, and have found this book to be a great help. I have learnt more by owning this book for 24 hours than i have in owning the camera for 2 weeks.

The book explains in easy to understand terms of what,why and how each setting effects the outcome of the photograph. The book is very easy to read and has some great demo photo's of the various settings of the camera with the various outcomes of the same picture.
on 7 September 2005
As a recently converted photo enthusiast I have found this book extremely useful. Understanding exposure is Alpha and Omega to achieve good photos that is not the results of mere chance. Being an aperture priority man myself I found the chapter on aperture especially interesting. For instance I have learnt that what the author calls "who cares?" aperture, f11, gives the best contrast and sharpness, and I now use it frequently when depth of field is of no importance. However, it is much more to this book than that. Buy it and browse through it and I am sure you will find an answer to what you are looking for, explained in a straight forward language beautifully illuminated by the authors own pictures.
on 2 February 2006
This book has been an excellent confidence builder for my photography. I only shoot digital and chimp every shot to see if I got the exposure right. The methods in this book work so well, that I feel confident enough to pick up a film camera, and don't rely on the automatic exposure. You learn so much more about light by dialing in your own exposure. This book has been a key to my recent advancements in outdoor photography.
on 6 February 2005
New to the world of DSLR, I now have the confidence to switch off the auto and go to manual.
This book explains - in easy to understand terms - how to set your exposure for a wide variety of conditions.
Its well written and has plenty of good examples showing 'with' & 'without'.
If your fed up of using auto or want to understand the relationship between ISO, f numbers, and shutter speeds then buy this book. You won't be dissapointed.