Customer reviews

on 7 August 2015
I absolutely love this book for a number of reasons. I used to loathe studying proteins but this book really inspired me and made me fall in love with a subject I used to hate. Whilst not as up to date as some texts, I love its approach of making the subject easy to understand without making you feel stupid. It covers topics in a logical manner with each chapter building on the one before it. The illustrations are lovely to and a pleasure to look at and understand. Whilst there are other books that are more update, this really covers fundamental protein structure exceptionally well and has really given me confidence and passion for a subject area that I used to passionate loathe.
on 3 November 2012
This book was written over 20 years ago but it is a special book. It has remained a recommended text despite its age purely for the way it concisely familiarises the reader with the fundamental aspects of protein structure, utilising clear examples supplemented with excellent figures in such a way, that for me, inspired my imagination to delve into the world of proteins. It is an easy read, with short chapters, yet it paints a detailed and compelling picture.

The only downside, which I personally do not consider such as it is aptly named, is that it does not contain the latest developments from this field. If this is what you specifically require, then I would suggest reading the latest publications. If however you require a concise text that will guide you through the fundamental complexities of protein structure, most of which remain unchanged, then I dare say you will not be disappointed.

I owe the writers my sincere thanks for breaching a complex subject and inspiring my imagination many years ago. To this day I retain a copy and it is, even now, referenced often.
on 9 November 2006
The information contained with this book is perfect for undergrads interested in structural areas of proteins. It Explains the various types of atructural motifs found on proteins with some lovely coloured handdrawn diagrams. Tends not to deal with the structural solving of proteins, so information on this is somewhat limited, however every chapter contains very good references for further and more in-depth (if not entirley up to date) information on the various subject areas.

An invaluable source of information for biochemists and structural biologists.
on 17 April 2010
An excellent text.
Things are explained clearly, they way they should be teached. There are a lot of (color) images of structures explained in details, step by step. Every chapter ends with around 10 pages of real examples of what's just been explained. A very good book for those into structural bio.
on 27 November 2015
Wonderful diagrams, though some information could be updated.
on 28 June 2016
good book for those who need it.
on 17 August 2015
Excellent companion to course
on 29 June 2015
good
on 7 November 2001
I highly recommend this book to students and researchers alike. Well-illustrated with coloured pencil drawings, this is in high contrast to the flooding use of computer graphics in structural biology. THe contents are well organized and in depth.