Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2007

Like many of the reviews on this page, I have to agree that this is quite literally THE BEST reference book you will ever find relating to the study of Classical Ballet. As a teacher, this book has been utterly priceless in helping me to expand my understanding of ballet technique, right from the very foundations to the most intricate of enchainements.

There is something to be learnt by all in here, even if you are the most technically minded ballet student, teacher or even professional dancer. The depth of knowledge and detail that is in this book is quite literally astounding, making it an incredible buy for anyone making a serious study in ballet. My only warning would be that this book is not really suitable for a mere enthusiast! (No offence meant, but you will probably get bored by the lack of tutus, pointe shoes and tiaras.)

One major recommendation for this book is for classically trained professional dancers making the transition to teacher (or anyone undertaking teacher training). As many of you will know, even after years of training, your understanding of ballet technique will often still only extend to how it FEELS physically and how it LOOKS in the mirror. This book will really open your eyes to the real detail of technique and help you learn to look at ballet with a teachers eye rather than a professional dancers.

Also, another key point is that for once, there is a book available that gives an unbiased and a fair evaluation of ballet technique. In the UK in particular, we are so restricted by the demands of a syllabus (RAD, ISTD, IDTA), that is utterly refreshing that this books gives an outline of classical ballet that is literally that - PURE BALLET - as danced by the gretest companies around the world, and NOT, in ballet exams.

In summary, I cannot strees enough how valuable this book is for any serious ballet 'freak'. All I can say is that it has been written BY a dancer, FOR dancers and that statement hopefully speaks for it-self. I can only congratulate the writer and photographer for creating such an amazing piece of work. Teachers and students everywhere, your prayers are answered.
on 3 December 1998
My ballet teacher says this is one of the best ballet books around. It has hundreds of pictures explaining each move and the common errors performing them. I am buying two more for my friends.
on 25 April 2006
I bought this book after reading the reviews in this web site. I found this book very useful. This book does not have much writing(by comparing other books). It tells you everything that you need to know about ballet positions and movements. Every ballet position and movement is well illustrated in this book. For each position, from 1st position to arabesque, this book tells you how you position it. This book also shows you correct and incorrect positions in black-and-white photos. Although the photos are shown in black-and-white, these photos' quilities are excellent, so you can clearly see what are the photos trying to tell you. For ballet movements, there are step-by-step photos to show you the correct movements. This book also contains two pages of 'Pronunciation Guide' to remind you how to pronunce some ballet terms, and 8 pages on 'Glossary of ballet terms' which is very useful as well. I have been learning ballet for nearly 20 years, this book is really useful and a nice book to read and has improved my ballet skills and technique. If you are a ballet lovers or just started ballet and in love with it, this will be a must-have reference book for you!
on 19 January 1999
This is an excellent reference guide for teachers and serious students. While it does NOT replace study with a qualified teacher, it offers hundreds of photographs depicting correct and incorrect placement and execution of fundamental ballet movements.
on 20 July 1999
This is the most comprehensive work covering the technical aspects of the art of ballet. Clearly illustrated and well organized, it is a valuable reference for teachers--the description of class content and ettiquette were excellent. As a former student of Ms. Warren in my days at the Pennsylvania Ballet, I am not surprised at the quality and detail of this work. It must have been a daunting task to compile, but many instructors will reap the benefits.
on 19 December 1998
This is absolutely the best book I've ever used to show students how to properly execute fundamental, classical ballet technique.
It's a must have for any serious student, caring parent, or dedicated instructor. It should be in every studio's "lending library"!
on 23 April 2014
This book is very good for showing wrong & correct positions and for the overall history of ballet etc. However I find I do not refer to it as much as I thought I would, i have another ballet book that I refer to far more often. I don't find it enticing, but I would imagine if you are studying dance then it is an excellent book.
on 19 February 1998
I agree with bif@whidbey...it is the best reference book that I have seen on classical ballet technique. It has become very common with all of the teachers that I have taken at in the past several years.
on 11 July 2007
this is an excellent book for all standards of ballet - although children-beginners may find their parents get more benefit. older students can see what their teacher may have corrected in class and how it looks alongside a picture of the correct move. invaluable. advanced students can double check the correct progression of the more difficult moves as well as all the standard basics such as correct stance, arm and feet positions etc. the phtotgraphs are great. there is also a section detailing the requisites of the perfect or ideal dancer - this should be dinned into the head of all prospective dance students to avoid heartbreak later. a recommended read browse or study aide - in fact i can't think of any dancer who could not benefit from a glance at it's
pages.
on 30 January 2012
Need to say more? I am a dancer/ teacher/ choreographer trained in the Russian system and I have a big book collection This is the best I've ever seen. Money well spend. Fantastic pictures and movement explanations and terminology. A must for advanced students and professionals.