Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 March 2013
Whilst this book is interesting and informative, it lost credibility for me when I realised that it was a platform for American trumpet blowing. I was left wondering how the rest of civilisation had managed to progress for thousands of years prior to the creation of the USA which, from the start of the 20th century, apparently straightened us all out and set our feet on the path to illumination and intelligent thinking. I'm used to watching Hollywood movies in which America glows like a beacon for the 'rest of the world' - I put that down to artistic licence and ignore it - but it's unfortunate that this unjustified arrogance has found its way into a book that really might have made a difference.
on 2 April 2015
A big disclaimer right off the bat: I’m a huge fan of Al Gore’s brand of futurism. He’s right up there with the best writers in the field, from John Naisbitt who gave us Megatrends to Alvin Toffler who gave us Future Shock. Gore’s view of the future is far more sober and balanced on the whole than is Toffler’s, to my thinking. Of course this book was penned some decades later, when consumers married to the process of globalization as a phenomenon was well past its honeymoon phase.

I found myself underlining two-thirds of this book, which got a bit silly. Since just reading the highlights next time around isn’t going to save me much time!

Asides from being a highly prescient view of the near-future, on par with his eye-opening An Inconvenient Truth, this book is also an excellent call to arms to make the kind of changes today in our lives and our consciousness that can lead us to a sustainable future, one that we might actually want to live in.
on 27 May 2014
When Alvin Toffler wrote Future Shock, the 'future' seemed decades away.
When one reads al Gore's Future, the future seems already here, it's already upon us.
Gore gives a comprehensive analyses of factors that converge to drive us human beings rapidly into a new world which we have very limited current capacity to control, or even regulate.
The analysis is fascinating, his prescriptions for better governance are very convincing.
He deserves to be taken very seriously indeed, given his steady track record of working and speaking out about the issues.
I've learned alot by reading this book and I am more hopeful now that we can have a sustainable future as a species than I was before I began.
This are 2 of the many reasons why I rate this a 5- star book. Buy it for yourself and at least one other person!
on 6 March 2013
This is the right choice for someone who does not have the time to read many of the publications that appear everyday about the many challenges we face nowadays.
Very well written, full of data. It conveys a vision of the world based on facts but simultaneously giving you the room for your own reasoning and opinion.
I thoroughly recommend it
on 6 March 2013
A very well written and well argued book. The up to date knowledge about the environment is on display here. I liked the style and was convinced by the author's arguments. Gore marshals the facts to support his case, but he also examines those people who do not agree with his views.
For those who want to know the current thinking on environmental issues, this book is invaluable.
on 17 March 2016
I am only on chapter 2! I found chapter 1 hard going, though terrifying. I am on more familiar ground with chapter 2, and enjoying it. I am reading it on a kindle, and the diagrams are far too small to bother with.
on 2 April 2013
Easily one of the most well thought out books on our current economic and environmental situation. A must read but a little wanting on solutions for the problems laid out.
on 15 March 2013
For those wishing to get a good summary of Al Gore's position, this is very good. I think some of his potential futures are even a little on the optimistic side!
on 2 October 2013
An excellent read and received when it was supposed to arrive. Would recommend this interesting book to anyone not just those interested in the environment.
on 7 July 2013
everyone should read it -- best book ive read in a long time, very informative and suprisingly balance
very good